spark rain fire

Artists Repeat on iPod

Recently i noticed that my iPod has several of the same artist listed under "artists" however when i click any one of them they all include the same albums for example, i have about 10 against me! artists listed, when i click on any one of them, it shows all the albums i have like each listing links to the same place..

i've tried to restore my iPod with no success. it doesn't show up that way in iTunes, and there aren't spaces or anything goofy with the tags... what else could it be?

-danN

Is the album artist field different? What I do is select the files and do a get info then re-type the artist and album artist field. This way each of the files will get exactly the same thing written to the tags.

Is the album artist field different? What I do is select the files and do a get info then re-type the artist and album artist field. This way each of the files will get exactly the same thing written to the tags.

i don't use the album art field, and it's completely empty on all the songs in the example (note: it does this with more than one artist)

-danN

But did you do what I suggested to fix this?

But did you do what I suggested to fix this?

i tried that, but also to do that with over 200 artists would be too mundane.. i'm pretty sure it's a problem with the itunes library file. i'm hoping that i don't have to delete my iTuneslibrary file because i'd have to re-tag all my videos again! gah!

Well, since this happened to me once, this will fix it. If it's "too mundane" and you don't want to trash your library file, then you don't have much choice other than to live with it.

This problem just happened with me I did the following:

1. Checked to make sure the "artist" was EXACTLY the same (of course it was otherwise the listings, i.e. albums and songs, would not be the same)

2. Did a factory restore.

Nothing helped so I ventured over to iLounge. Apparently this is a bug with 7.1 (7.1.1) where the new sorting feature is all screwed up. Now, not only do you have to make sure the artist info is EXACTLY the same but also, if you don't want the duplication, you must makes sure the sorting matches up. For instance

For 52 Oasis albums the artist is "Oasis" but the sorting is not EXACTLY the same, the way I understand it, I must edit every Oasis song (not that difficult I am sure) so that it is sorted by "Oasis" and only "Oasis" rather than "Oasis " or " Oasis" etc.

Now this is my understanding and I have yet to try it (and there are other theories over at iLounge) but one theme is the same, it is NOT the artist issue as was usually the case but the sorting issue.

Cheers

Edited by MnchstrCityBlues