Sign in to follow this  
Chipper

G3 iBook Questions...

Hello,

This is my first post here and my name is Chipper. Im a new mac user and I will never go back. I first bought a G3 iBook off ebay and am running Tiger on it. I just bought a new 17" iMac and it is great. Anyways back to my question...

My G3 is a little slow and I wanted to speed it up a little bit (well a lot bit) and maybe some more memory. The laptop is in is great cosmetic conditon and i think i would like to keep it for another few years (I'm in school now). What would you guys suggest as far as more hardware to add to it to make it faster or what would you guys suggest? Thanks

Chipper

I suggest putting in the maximum memory the iBook will take. That's the best/easiest way to get the most speed out of it. You can find out what the max is by checking Crucial.com or the Mactracker application.

Memory is indeed the route to take. Once you find the exact kind, for example: "PC 2100-2700 200 pin 333 MHz", look it up on Newegg and see if you can get Kingston or Crucial for less then usual price. No-name or "store brand" RAM tends to be faulty, but you can get good quality memory for less than you might expect to pay for it if you shop around.

After that, do the usual software speed tricks: If you don't use it, truly disable (don't just ignore) Dashboard, I think there's a UNIX command for it, but Tweak Freak or TinkerTool will do it for you. Repair permissions. Check your disk's file system, if there's something wrong that cannot be fixed from the Tiger install disk when you boot off of it, back up to an iPod or similar device (unless you have a Firewire external hard drive) using Carbon Copy Cloner, reformat the disk completely, boot off of the iPod and copy all your data back using the same program-- you don't even need to reinstall.

Free up hard drive space. If your computer is too slow to use some programs it may or may not have on it (like Garageband or iMovie), back them up to CD's or DVD's and take them off the main hard drive. iDVD is actually 1.4 GB by itself!

If you don't have iLife, there probably isn't a huge program that you aren't aware is taking up so much space. Obviously, if you use iLife or something else, don't take it off! You have a hard drive for a reason, but if it is almost full your computer won't work as well as possible.

I agree about the max memory thing as well, along with dissabling functions you won't use or are hardware intensive.