Sign in to follow this  
PodWorld

In need of major help

My HD crashed recently i am on a new hd but i have alot of info on my old one. I dont think the data is courpted on it or anything just something broke inside and refuses to boot ok. please i neeed to know of a way to salvage my info it there a place to senf it to in the 95969 area code in calif or the closest one that can do a professional job for me?

My HD crashed recently i am on a new hd but i have alot of info on my old one. I dont think the data is courpted on it or anything just something broke inside and refuses to boot ok. please i neeed to know of a way to salvage my info it there a place to senf it to in the 95969 area code in calif or the closest one that can do a professional job for me?

You didn't tell us anything about what actually happened but if it is a software problem, something like a corrupt data tree, then try this software. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk If it is actually a hardware problem then it is probably time to say goodbye as i could well cost upwards of $1k to get data back.

Edited by joshr

better said the problem was i started to hear a sorta CLick click sound comeing from the HD that was loud shut down the computer and didnt start back up after..

better said the problem was i started to hear a sorta CLick click sound comeing from the HD that was loud shut down the computer and didnt start back up after..

Better open the wallet if you really want that data because it's going to cost a lot of money.

note: clicking hard drives are never good. in my experience anyway. <_<

lol no it isnt . so the only way to fix it is to send it in then huh?:-( i really need that data but i dont have that kind of money ugh

Something like that what they do is open the drive in a clean room and replace the reader or move the platters to a good drive. The important thing to know is that it's all very expensive.

There's a cheep maybe solution. It sounds silly, but if you freeze that HD (as in put it in a ziploc and into your freezer) sometimes it will work again, briefly. If you have an external enclosure I'd set it up so that the enclosure is in your freezer the whole time with the wires hanging out of the door. I have never heard of this being a permanent fix, but I have had success getting just that one more hour out of the drive that I needed to get my data off. Google "freezing hard drives" for more info. Always worth a try before paying someone thousands (around 2 to 4) of dollars.

P.S. Some geeky info on what is going on with your HD and how the pros get the info back off, if you were to pay them. The clicking sound you're hearing is the read/write head (think record player needle, but fancier) not "docking" properly. Pretty much it gets screwed up and is slamming to its two extremes trying to find its way. This can be caused by a whole ton of reasons, but it pretty much means your drive is dead. What the pros do to recover your data is they take it apart in a clean room and then take an electron microscope to it and reconstruct your data bit (binary digit, not just a synonym for tiny) by bit.

Hope this works for ya!

I would try Diskwarrior. It's relatively inexpensive ($80 or so), and you can download the software so you can quickly try the solution if this is an external drive. Personally, I had a "clicking" drive 2 months ago. I was able to transfer the data from it to another hard drive. The oringial drive is now totally useless, so this program really saved me.

If you download Diskwarrior they will send you a copy of DVD which you can use as a startup disk for doing maintenance on your interal startup disk.

Good luck.

I would try Diskwarrior. It's relatively inexpensive ($80 or so), and you can download the software so you can quickly try the solution if this is an external drive. Personally, I had a "clicking" drive 2 months ago. I was able to transfer the data from it to another hard drive. The oringial drive is now totally useless, so this program really saved me.

If you download Diskwarrior they will send you a copy of DVD which you can use as a startup disk for doing maintenance on your interal startup disk.

Good luck.

Diskwarrior only works with software hard disk issues. What the OP has is a hardware problem. I forgot about freezing it though. I have been hearing great things about this lately.

so another one backing it i might just try it then? but one question do i thaw it first or just hook it up right after as a slave? or should i do master?

so another one backing it i might just try it then? but one question do i thaw it first or just hook it up right after as a slave? or should i do master?

Just hook it up I think. Try doing some google searches on it. They talked about it on dl.tv recently.

EDIT: I found this http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

Edited by joshr