Dinger

how do i automatically remove played podcasts in itunes

Hi all, back in itunes 6 (IIRC) you were able to set up ipod and itunes to automatically remove a podcast once it had been played, itunes 7 seemed to break this feature and I'm wondering if anyone else knows of a solution. if i remember correctly you set itunes to sync all podcasts and set the ipod to remove them (updating them) once played. as i said it was a fair while ago now so i may have got that totally wrong but i have played about with most of the combinations of ipod and itunes podcast settings and cant seem to figure this one out.

(I realise that the podcast is only removed from the itunes library and the file is not actually removed from the HDD, I had to do that myself from time to time and realise that you could probably set up an apple script to do that automatically, but i have not really used apple script that much)

FYI I am using a 15inch 2.33 C2D Macbook Pro running OS 10.4.9 and iTunes 7.1.1

I (and my iPod) appreciate any advice you are able to offer.

Edited by Dinger

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet. In iTunes, go to Preferences > Podcasts > Keep and select "All unplayed episodes".

It would be nice to find a plugin or script that would delete the removed podcasts from the HD.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet. In iTunes, go to Preferences > Podcasts > Keep and select "All unplayed episodes".

It would be nice to find a plugin or script that would delete the removed podcasts from the HD.

yes, that is what i have itunes set to at the moment and it is not removing them automatically. ipod is set to update all episodes of all podcasts, tried changing this to unplayed episodes but no difference.

Dinger :)

Edited by Dinger

yes, that is what i have itunes set to at the moment and it is not removing them automatically. ipod is set to update all episodes of all podcasts, tried changing this to unplayed episodes but no difference.

Dinger :)

Set it to keep "All Unplayed Episodes" then iTunes should delete them the next time either A) it checks for new episode as determined by your preferences or B) You manually refresh by using the refresh button in the lower left. Keep in mind that you will have to play right to the end of the podcast for it to be considered played. If you still have a few seconds remaining at the end of the podcast, it won't be deleted.