Sign in to follow this  
spt72

something similar to CCleaner for Mac?

Looking for an app suggestion for something similar to CCleaner, but for the Mac.

CCleaner basically erases all history, tmp fils, etc on a PC so that its "similar to what the NSA uses to delete files."

I want something so that, for example, if the computer is taken into a shop or something, someone with computer knowledge couldnt get to or find any old files, history, search histories, archives etc.

Something that will completely clean those hings off the computer.

any suggestions?

You might try ShredIt X. It does the goverment standard type erasing you are looking for. If you erasing an entire drive you can use disk utility. It does military grade wipes which can take a while but pretty much gaurantee nothing can be recovered from the drive.

Erase the offending file. Before adding anything onto the drive, go into Disk Utility and "erase free space" with a seven pass function.

Problem solved.

Its not necessarily one file.. Im more talking about histories, cache/temp files, previous searches, trash, etc.

I can't think of any single app that's particularly close to CCleaner, but here's some suggestions of things to do to protect your privacy:

1. Switch to Firefox (if you haven't already) and use the option "Clear Private Data" in the Tools Menu. There are also some useful Firefox extensions that can be installed, "Distrust" for example allows you to remove browsing info for a specific session. You can find these in the "Browse Privacy and Security" section of the Firefox web site.

2. There's also a number of maintenance app's about (Cocktail, Onyx, Yasu are just three I have), which can be used to clear system/user caches, log files etc. Onyx has a handy menu called "Cleaning" that could be used to protect privacy. It's worth remembering that these type of app's are really designed to help improve system performance when your machine seems slow or are to be used when troubleshooting a problem. Also, much of the data that is cleared is system related and will have nothing to do with your personal info. Personally I wouldn't recommend running this type of app too frequently.

3. If you have any sensitive documents on the disk you may want to think about keeping them in a password encrypted disk image.

Edited by Ginamos

I use MainMenu. This is their web address.

http://www.santasw.com/

Edited by Clark

I use MainMenu. This is their web address.

http://www.santasw.com/

Oh yeah. Definitely recommend this, used to use it all the time till 10.4.9 came out and it wasn't supported... just noticed they've updated to support 10.4.9 now, off to blog about it now. Thx Clark