ramtha

Wake on LAN

In the dark days, when this house had a PC in it, (read my exorcism story here) I used to be able to power the machine up remotely, by tickling it's static internal IP address. Because the ethernet card supported "wake on LAN activity", which is used predominantly by IT professionals who might need to remotely log into a machine which doesn't have a human anywhere near it, I was able to use VNC to view the desktop on my Mac and pass files back and forth via Windows Share (SMB).

I'd like to be able to do the same with the Mac Mini hooked up to the HDTV downstairs, from the main iMac machine upstairs - so I can transfer TV and music physically to it's hard drive, like an ?TV, without having to go downstairs to turn it on (we have a really big house and I'm really kinda lazy).

If anyone knows how to do this, please help me out. I'm able to connect to the machine just fine when it's actually turned on, of course, I'm just curious about turning it on (and I guess off again) via ethernet.

TIA

Edited by ramtha

is the mini hooked to the network by wireless?

usually it must be connected by a cable for this to work.

is the mini hooked to the network by wireless?

usually it must be connected by a cable for this to work.

Yes, it's a physical ethernet cable connection, not wireless.

Wake on lan is an option you can enable in the energy saver part of system preferences. Look there, haven't tried it though.

Wake on lan is an option you can enable in the energy saver part of system preferences. Look there, haven't tried it though.

Mahhh! Well spotted. Thanks for that, though unfortunately it doesn't actually switch the computer on - only wake from sleep.

Thanks again

There is a freeware program, called Wake-On-Lan which can be foundhere.

The only problem, is that the IP address needs to stay the same in order for it to know 'who' to wake up.

There is no reason to turn your computer off anyway though, sleep mode uses very little power.

There is no reason to turn your computer off anyway though, sleep mode uses very little power.

Yeah, the machine is on the same power sockets as the TV and DVD and satellite receiver, which uses a lot of power even on standby, so it all gets turned off at the wall come bed time.