Sign in to follow this  
tomski

Backup question

Hi,

I was wondering: Doing a backup of a running system; How does that work? I mean, the system is running and files are changing due to processes running in the background. It is not like the system is holding it's breath while doing a backup. Sometimes the info in one file done at one point in time requires a info in another to be at a certain state. But during a backup process things change. How does that work?

Best,

tomski

I do my backups at night, so my computer is just sitting there idle. If I don't change anything, then I can deal with rolling back. I mean, what am I really going to loose? All my documents and files are going to be in the same state as when I left the computer.

Computers generally aren't as volatile as your post suggests. Most of the grinding you're hearing your hard drive do is virtual memory swapping. Unless you're moving files around or downloading stuff, or saving docs, things aren't changing all that much. I agree that night is the best time, but if that's not an option, its OK.

If you want serious backups I always use Dick Utility's image from disk feature and save a compressed disk image of my HD on an external drive, that way I can simply use Dick Utility's Restore feature and all is good again.

I agree. Night time is the best, or day time, if you're at work. Nevertheless, if you add files during a backup, chances are these files are only partially included in the current backup. It is wise to put those files temporarily on a USB stick, if you don't want to lose them if your hard disk happened to crash before the next backup. This is especially true for digital photos and downloads from the iTunes Store. Luckily, both iPhoto and iTunes have a "Show in Finder" menu option, so you can drag those files to your USB stick.