Docproc

One Mac, several users

Hi

I am familiar with programs like VNC etc that allow me to use my Mac remotely. What I haven't found yet, though, is a way for several remote users to use one Mac all at the same time. I'm thinking of something analagous to Windows Terminal Server (if that's what it's called) where several clients can connect to a single server, and each have their own session, independent of the others.

Is there anything like this available for the Mac?

Thanks in advance!

Glenn.

I think you'll need OS X server for this (although I could be wrong).

Well, at least I'm not missing something obvious!

I find it a little odd that this isn't possible, given that it would seem all the building blocks for such a feature (separate user accounts, X11 for communication over the network etc) are already in place.

Glenn.

Oops, I misread the question. I thought he meant different users logging in normally to a server. Nope, I don't think this will be possible.

It should be possible to do this with Apache Sever. If you're doing this on a LAN (read: home network) there are no problems, but many (if not most) ISPs have blocked port 80, so you can't use your computer as a standard webserver. You can use port 8080 instead, but you need to instruct your visitors how to use it (and what your IP address is).

Another (and in my eyes much better) solution could be to put your stuff on an external webdav server, such as Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3), and organize the Apache server (and other services you want to offer) from there. The S3 server would act like an external harddisk on your system, but as a proper webserver for other users. You can password protect the user spaces to prevent other people than the user (and you) to access some of his/her stuff. The normal setup is to have a public part and a restricted part, like with the .Mac account. Heck, you can run your own paid version of a .Mac service.

Edited by Ignoracious