BCMacDude

MBP Battery Question

Allright

heres the deal. got a first generation MBP with the 3 year warranty on it. I know a while ago they had the battery exchange, which i took advantage of because mine was shutting down at 90%. Now it seems like my battery just wont hold a charge. It's about 14 months old and using coconut battery it currently holds 3371 mAh out of a possible 5500 mAh. It has had 140 load cycles. So teh charge capacity has dropped to 60% of the total capacity after a little over a year. Is this a known problem? should i just take it to the apple store and get a new one? or just call up the hotline? thanks

Allright

heres the deal. got a first generation MBP with the 3 year warranty on it. I know a while ago they had the battery exchange, which i took advantage of because mine was shutting down at 90%. Now it seems like my battery just wont hold a charge. It's about 14 months old and using coconut battery it currently holds 3371 mAh out of a possible 5500 mAh. It has had 140 load cycles. So teh charge capacity has dropped to 60% of the total capacity after a little over a year. Is this a known problem? should i just take it to the apple store and get a new one? or just call up the hotline? thanks

Hi, you should take the MBP into the genius bar at your nearest apple store and have them run diagnostics, and if a fault is found they should replace the battery as this forms part of your apple care agreement as the hardware is "not fit for purpose".

I don't purchase Apple care but would be interested in the outcome as this could sway me.

Remember be firm but polite, you are the customer and Apple loves you ;-)

If you would like to go into the Open Firmware also known as EMI (on Intel Macs) the commands for flashing the nvram is:

reset-nvram

reset-all

The system will restart and your battery might be able to hold the charge.

I just wanted to say that i also have a first-gen MBP with a battery that has been exchanged for the old one that had the bulging problem. Any way, I have 157 charge cycles and can still hold 5030 mAh of the original 5500 mAh (91% of orignal battery capacity). Your problem is definitely not common, however, I have to ask you how you use the battery (do you use 1/2 of the charge then recharge, or do you completely drain it before recharging?) I take my MBP to class everyday and run down the battery until i receive the low batter warning, then begin charging it - this has greatly increased my battery capacity (even an Apple Genius was surprised at how much capacity I had left after so many charge cycles and daily use).

But, I would call Apple or see a Genius. However, when you get the new battery, try only completely draining and recharging... its worked very well for me.

-Steve-

Good News :)

Went in today had them look at it. Replaced my fraying power cord as soon as they looked at it.

And it turned out that before i took it in, my computer wasnt recognizing my batter so i took a screenshot of it. Brought it in and showed him and i'm calling applecare tomorrow to get my new one mailed to me. Pretty Straightforward and simple. That screenshot tip from the show a couple weeks back works wonders--they dont question at all. So all is good and happy in my macs life :) thanks guys