stevewhodrums

OpenDNS Question

I just changed my router to use OpenDNS. So far so good, except for one thing: I used to type a single name in the address field of Safari, and it would resolve the address. For example, typing CNN would take me to www.cnn.com. Typing MACCAST would take me to www.maccast.com. Now, OpenDNS takes me to their search results screen where I must manually resolve the address.

Is there a way to get the old Safari behavior back?

Thanks in advance!

I dont think so. Safari adding on the .com and such would probably only happen when the DNS fails to find an entry for that. However, when OpenDNS cant find an address it redirects to a search page so Safari never gets a chance.

I know that Firefox (and probably most other browsers considering even IE can do it) will automatically fill in www. and .com on address when pushing command and hitting enter (or control on a PC), im not sure if Safari has something like that, but ive tried control, command and option and neither produce that in Safari.

Yes, I recently switched to the service and found this an annoyance too. As far as I could see, the only thing to do (and what I have done) is set up a free account on the OpenDNS website, add your current IP address as a 'network' and under the settings, disable 'typo correction'. This will stop you getting the search page, but will also mean that when you make an actual mistake, alternatives won't be suggested.

Hope this helps in some way,

W.

Whats really the advantage to using OpenDNS?

Whats really the advantage to using OpenDNS?

I use it because I do notice that it is faster. I also like the search, when I mistype, or more importantly mis remember a URL, it suggests things, which I really like.

It also protects against phishing schemes, which is good, I think I'm smart enough to not get fooled, but maybe I'm not.

I don't think it's really drastically better, but since I do find it to be better, and free, I use it.

-Tom

I noticed this article on Digg today and thought of this post. It'll take a bit of setup, but you can get that function back, at least for those sites you set up as shortcuts. I'm not sure if you'd rather turning off the search or using this will work better for you, but I thought I'd make the suggestion. I know I'm going to go set up some shortcuts.

-Tom