bytwo

802.11n Macbook Core Duo Options

I'm trying to get my hands around any options, for us early adopters who bought Macbook Pro Core Duo's, around 802.11n options via ExpressCard slot. It sounds like the only two options at this point would be to:

1. open up the machine and install (via hack) a n-card. As I've read on several posts and from an earlier maccast, this is possible. Seems kind of pointless for the general user if the only way I could get a card is to buy a new machine.

2. Buy a new machine. Again, don't have $2000 lying around.

So my question is, what about 3rd party Express Card options (dell, belkin, linksys, etc..). Does anyone have any experience with these and if they work with the new airport extreme?

thanks

well you dont HAVE to buy a new machine for the n-card, you can get repair places to order the part for you. they usually have them in stock, actually. for the mac pro's.

well you dont HAVE to buy a new machine for the n-card, you can get repair places to order the part for you. they usually have them in stock, actually. for the mac pro's.

Thanks for your input. Do those repair places, in your experience, usually install these hack as well? (I'm sure it's up to those individual places). I guess I'm trying to see if there is a "non-technical/hack/void the warrantee" solution.

as far as the repair places go, you might be able to get them to do it, depending on how well you know them.. but i doubt it, since it isnt technically "do-able" according to apple, and they certainly don't warrant it, like you alluded to. but if you arent afraid of opening your macbook case, its not really a difficult upgrade.

and for other solutions like 3rd party express card type things.. i dont have any experience with those.

Edited by joe28753

Thanks for the additional insight and thoughts. I've also started email various 3rd party tech-support about their 802.11n express cards. Here was my first reply from D-Link who has one, but no OSX drivers:

Date of Reply: 4/5/2007

Products: DWA-643

Operating System: Mac OS 10.4

Jonathan, at the moment, there aren't any drivers for the Mac.

Should you require further assistance with your D-Link products, please reply to this message, or call toll free at 877-453-5465.