fireant202

How do I control a 3rd party wireless modem?

I have a Westell Model 327W wireless base station that came with my Verizon DSL subscription. It's not a great modem but it gets the job done. Anyways, I was wondering how can I control this modem from my mac? I can't seem to find any software which will allow me to access it. In other words I have no way of changing its name or putting any security in place for my internet connection, both of which I would like to do.

Secondly, I tried connecting a macbook pro through this network but even though it connected, safari, mail, etc. wouldn't actually work/connect when attempted. Even though internet connect showed a connected network, nothing worked. I can find no settings in system preferences on either my desktop or the laptop mac to try and fix this....help?

I am not familiar with that router specifically, but here's some generic things to try. Open up your Networks pref pane and look at the device you're using to connect, either built-in ethernet or AirPort, on the Mac that is connecting to the internet. Click on the TCP/IP tab and look at the IP address next to the "Router:" field. It will probably be something like 192.168.?.? (the most common non routing ranges, others are 10.0.X.X series and 172.16.X.X). Whatever the value for the router field type it into the address bar of your favorite browser and you will likely be presented with a config page. If that doesn't work try 192.168.100.1 which works with almost all broadband modems, but is usually diagnostic info, not configuration. Hopefully this will get you into some sort of config screen. I've had routers that were not compatible with certain web browsers, so if you can access the page but things like submit buttons aren't working try a different browser.

As for your laptop, I am not sure why it won't connect. If you send me screen shots of your laptop's Network prefpane when you're connected to the network, I'll try to give some more help, but there are just too many possibilities to start listing here. Plus it's 1:00 AM, and my brain has shut down. Make sure you have airport selected in the "Show:" dropdown menu, and send a shot of TCP/IP tab. Just PM me and I'll send my email. I welcome other people who are more familiar with that specific modem to trample over everything I've said and give some more concrete advice.

Edited by almighty_spork

So after all that I found this:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:cJv57_...=1&gl=us#28

It takes you through setting the thing up. I'm an idiot who wastes time and should know that Google knows all.

You can download that as a PDF here.

I'm leaving my old post up since it still may be useful to someone. Also, if your book still won't connect the offer is still good.

Edited by almighty_spork

Why thank you so much Spork. That's really helpful of you. I'm sure I'll find something in all that. The laptop was a relatives so I don't need to worry about it for now. But in the future when I eventually get one, we'll see what happens.