Sign in to follow this  
pwbeninate

24" iMac screen brightness

A friend of mine has a 24" iMac and usually works in a slightly dark environment. Even with the brightness all the way down, the screen is still VERY bright. Does anyone know of a hack to dim the screen down even lower?

The reason apple limits the brightness is because the lighting on a flat display such as that of an iMac or laptop is that if too little power is supplied to the light it will become damaged and lose the ability to get as bright as it used to be able to. If you've ever had a fluorescent battery-powered lantern and left low batteries in it a lot you will start to notice dark spots on the fluorescent tubes, same idea.

Now that you know why apple limited the brightness options and that they just weren't being jerks, let me suggest Shades. This free universal binary app has a clever way of getting around this issue. It applies a translucent gray rectangle in front of your apps, but behind your cursor. This allows you to dim your display without losing your cursor in the dimmer environment. This app can get your screen pretty dark, so it should serve your purpose nicely.

Somewhere I think I've seen an app that dims everything except for the frontmost window which is great for productivity, but I can't find it, and I think Shades' functionality is more what you were looking for anyway.

Edited by almighty_spork

Somewhere I think I've seen an app that dims everything except for the frontmost window which is great for productivity, but I can't find it, and I think Shades' functionality is more what you were looking for anyway.

Are you thinking about Think?

Are you thinking about Think?

Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of, thanks. Absolutely no pun intended.