Sign in to follow this  
Todd

Web Host Recommendation

Fellow Maccast Fans,

The Hosting Service that we are using at work is becoming unbearable -- the e-mail forwarding service is always crashing. It is a small, local company.

I need to switch to a more reliable service. I was wondering what the "host of choice" was these days. It would need to support ColdFusion.

Thanks for any thoughts or help. At this point, a bigger company familiar with small business would be ideal.

Todd Daniel

"Bill Gates is NOT the pope."

Not sure about coldfusion support or not [not something I looked into] but the guys from diggnation and dl.tv are big proponents of Go Daddy. I switched over to them about a year ago and they have been GREAT. Cheap, reliable, and great service. I believe the coupon code digg.com will get you a %10 discount.

I would do a Google search for "we support ColdFusion".

BTW That is a good general tip for Google search, because most websites publish their content not as a question, but rather as a statement. Many Google searches, however, are entered as a question, and yield, therefore, less accurate results.

Anyway, ColdFusion is proprietary, and probably not widely supported, and I would try to learn PHP/MySql and Ruby On Rails as replacements, so you have more options in the future.

Thanks, but what is "Ruby on Rails?" As a kid, I grew up eating "Shit on a Shingle" which was creamed corned beef hash over toast. It tasted awful. Is this anything similar?

Todd

I would do a Google search for "we support ColdFusion".

BTW That is a good general tip for Google search, because most websites publish their content not as a question, but rather as a statement. Many Google searches, however, are entered as a question, and yield, therefore, less accurate results.

Anyway, ColdFusion is proprietary, and probably not widely supported, and I would try to learn PHP/MySql and Ruby On Rails as replacements, so you have more options in the future.

When I really want to know something, I usually try entering it in Google first. The answer is there. Otherwise, try Wikipedia.

Anyway, in short Ruby is a programming language (actually a scripting language), similar to Python. Rails is a framework for creating websites. Ruby on Rails has been developed by 37Signals internally for web apps like: Basecamp, Backpack, Campfire, and, recently, HighRise. These are all web 2.0 collaboration tools. 37Signals open-sourced Rails, so anyone can create similar applications.

Usually, if you have a good idea, you can create a new web application in a few weeks, as opposed to several months web other web development tools (e.g. Java). This is because Ruby is a programmer's scripting language, and Rails is very powerful. Java OTOH is made for non-programmers, and therefore dumbed down and restricted.

Outside the corporate world, hardly anyone is using Java anymore, because it takes for ever to write a working application in that programming language. Furthermore, it doesn't lend itself for the agile or extreme programming (XP) team development methods.