Sign in to follow this  
powerpc

Anyone tried google desktop

Yeah finally it come out for mac, however i prefer quicksilver because it just seems to know what you are looking for where as google desktop seems to find too much.

But google's offering is muched more polished (from what i can see)

(just a note, when you install it ans it is indexing it will take up soooooo much cpu (70%) it is unbeleiveable.)

anyway, anyone else wanna comment

Yeah finally it come out for mac, however i prefer quicksilver because it just seems to know what you are looking for where as google desktop seems to find too much.

But google's offering is muched more polished (from what i can see)

(just a note, when you install it ans it is indexing it will take up soooooo much cpu (70%) it is unbeleiveable.)

anyway, anyone else wanna comment

I am not real familiar with google desktop but my understanding was that it is essentially spotlight. So what would be it's use?

its alot quicker really. Thought it is different to spotlioght and quite different to quicksilver, download it try it out.

There is an exhaustive post on Daring Fireball, which you should definitely read if you decide to use Google Desktop as a Spotlight replacement. I, personally, would not install it, and if I had, I would quickly uninstall it. This application gives me the creeps.

Edited by Ignoracious

Quicksilver is good yes, I'll make allowances for it replacing spotlight, and I'm a google fan so naturally I'd go after any new products they have...

However, personally, neither of these two apps beat spotlight. I just don't get it! Why do ppl keep making new search utilities for the mac? We should've been done with quicksilver! Spotlight is perfect for most of us, even power-users, and quicksilver is alternative for real, real hungry power users, or productivity gurus like Merlin Mann. *respect*

</rant>

I installed it and have since uninstalled it. Resource intensive. You also get several other programs installed..Google Updater for example. All in all you have quite a bit of memory and other resources being used. The Daring Fireball article is a good read, it is what made me uninstall the other day. Quicksilver works for me.