Sign in to follow this  
powerpc

Final cut pro and final cut express

I aquired final cut pro and found it rediculouly hard, is final cut express still good. I was looking for an upgrade to imovie. I many want to work with titles which one is better stand alone

I installed FCE some time ago, and still haven't used it, because it is quite a different program from iMovie. You would think that Express is the little brother of Pro, but it seems it isn't. It has a completely different code base.

While iMovie is so intuitive, Final Cut (Pro and Express) are not. I'm afraid you really need to take lessons or buy a tutorial book (I have no idea which), because Final Cut is just too hard to figure it out for yourself.

yeah, i don't know why they aren't as easy to pick up as imovie. I was using my friends powerbook the other day and i seems logic (the music one) is so easy to dabble with. Thanks for clarifiying the ease of use thing i though fcp would be the only hard one but alass not!

One of the reasons that I didn't buy the pro version was because of that stupid suite you'd have to buy, just to get your hands on the movie editor. Patrick Norton (who was under a NDA), hinted that Adobe Premiere Pro for Mac will be much better suited for a television production environment than the motion-picture-in-a-box Avid or Final Cut Pro. FCP has always been the el-cheapo version of Avid for movie studios, but hasn't the integration with other software like, for instance, iMovie has, which you would need in a fast paced environment, like a television studio.

It could just as well be, that if you had to choose between Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express, you'd choose Adobe Premiere Pro when it comes out. That package will certainly hurt Apple sales big time.

One of the reasons that I didn't buy the pro version was because of that stupid suite you'd have to buy, just to get your hands on the movie editor. Patrick Norton (who was under a NDA), hinted that Adobe Premiere Pro for Mac will be much better suited for a television production environment than the motion-picture-in-a-box Avid or Final Cut Pro. FCP has always been the el-cheapo version of Avid for movie studios, but hasn't the integration with other software like, for instance, iMovie has, which you would need in a fast paced environment, like a television studio.

It could just as well be, that if you had to choose between Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express, you'd choose Adobe Premiere Pro when it comes out. That package will certainly hurt Apple sales big time.

To be accurate, the Pro version of FC is for professional editors in a production environment. It's used to cut movies, corporate videos, television commercials and television programs including news. It's not made to be accessible to consumers, they're not the target.

You're absolutely right when you say FCP is the less-expensive option for professional editing -- a step down from Avid. That said, as marketers cut budgets and agencies try to keep what profit margins they have, FCP has been used more widely for commercial application. Also, medium to large ad agencies have been adding internal edit suites for years. In many instances FCP is the weapon of choice for the internal cutting room.

While Adobe may have a nifty new app with Premiere Pro, I'm inclined to hold opinions about its ability to eat FCP market share. Many considerations enter the picture including the fact that APP hasn't even been released yet. It may stink despite what Mr. Norton might say (granted he's often right).

Finally, to compare iMove to FCP and or Priemere Pro is like comparing Fred Flintstone's car to a Ferrari.

Edited by mobilexile