Sign in to follow this  
Gavriel

Linking macs without a router?

Hi, I have two macs I want to share files on. I share a house and am on the house router for internet with one computer, but I want to share files between my macs without having to run a second cable from the router into my room (and put my second mac on the network). Is there any way to just link my two macs without another router?

Thanks,

Gav

Hi, I have two macs I want to share files on. I share a house and am on the house router for internet with one computer, but I want to share files between my macs without having to run a second cable from the router into my room (and put my second mac on the network). Is there any way to just link my two macs without another router?

Thanks,

Gav

You probably want to post this stuff in hardware or networking in the future. You will probably get more responses.

You could link the two macs with a firewire cable and boot one of them in target disk boot mode. It's hard drive will then show up on the other computer as a mounted drive. All you do is connect the cable and then boot the second mac while holding T.

If you're only thinking about linking two macs you can always grab a crossover cable. This is a cable that looks like a standard ethernet cable but the wires don't line up the same way by the time the reach the other end of the cable. A crossover cable will act like a router for two machines. Just plug each end into the two ethernet ports and the machines should see each other(man I love, Bonjour, I liked Rendezvous better, but I digress) .

If the machines are new enough, I'm not sure how new they have to be, but you can use a standard ethernet cord between the two ethernet ports instead of a crossover cable.

If they both have wireless cards, you can also chose to make an ad-hoc network. Simply pulldown the airport menu on one and select create network. Then connect the second machine to the network you've created.

If you already are using your ethernet ports for that internet thing then consider firewire instead. At some point OSX started supporting TCP/IP over firewire. If you enable it via System Preferences then you should be able to connect them as if they were on a network together if you connect a firewire cord between them. To enable TCP/IP over firewire to the network prefpane, and then chose "Network Port Configurations" from the "Show:" drop-down menu, then simply check the checkbox next to any of your firewire ports. I think this is enabled by default, but I'm not sure. Mine is, but I don't' remember if I did it or not. :P

Those are all the ways I can think of to get your macs to talk without a router (or a switch) but still have all the functionality of one.