Dean Boland

Word for Mac - Crashes trying to print

This has been a vexing problem for about six months now. I have one year old MacBook Pro, 2 GB of RAM, Huge 160 GB drive (installed myself with the help of Maccast tips), but cannot solve this problem.

I connect to a wireless network at my home, I can print from Word for Mac easily, no problems.

At the office, whether connected wirelessly or wired, I attempt in Word for Mac (or Firefox now that I think of it) to print and the beach ball appears for about 10 seconds and the program crashes.

I have searched to see if anyone else is having this problem and I cannot really find anything on it. Any of you mac geniuses have a clue on this? I love my Mac, won't ever go back to Windows (I switched about 14 months ago), but this is really annoying at this point, all printing is disabled while I am at work.

Thanks.

I would guess that it has to do with the sytsem not being able to find the network printer. OSX will act strange when it can't find networked services, it was a gripe they talked about on macbreak weekly recently. Try removing the printer from your mac then readding it and see if that helps.

Also check you have the latest drivers installed for the printer. While Apple kindly provides many drivers for many printers so that "things just work" not all drivers are immediately available (or current). Samsung printers are a prime example of this - sometimes requiring near PC'ish acrobatics to get them up and running on a Mac.

Some diagnostic questions which may help solve the problem:

What kind of printer are you trying to connect to on your network? Does the printer print off your Mac if you connect it directly to the Mac. Are there other printers at your office you are able to print to?

Also check you have the latest drivers installed for the printer. While Apple kindly provides many drivers for many printers so that "things just work" not all drivers are immediately available (or current). Samsung printers are a prime example of this - sometimes requiring near PC'ish acrobatics to get them up and running on a Mac.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will try to install the latest drivers.

Some diagnostic questions which may help solve the problem:

What kind of printer are you trying to connect to on your network?

The printer is an HP LaserJet 1120 I think is the number.

Does the printer print off your Mac if you connect it directly to the Mac. Are there other printers at your office you are able to print to?

I don't have any other printers to test with this. I do print over a wireless network from home and I do not have this problem. The home printer is an EPSON.

I went looking for the Laserjet printer driver and was reminded in my printer setup what I had to do at my office to get a non-Apple wireless router/printer setup to work.

There could be 2 issues.

First Apple does not provide a built in HP Laserjet 1120 driver. You will have to download it or if the original driver disk is floating around check to see if there is an OS X version you can load onto your computer. Once you have done that see if you can now print to the printer (try a direct hookup to your computer first without the router to be sure that part works). If you can get it printing directly and via the router you are good to go.

If you can print directly to the printer, but not when the printer is plugged into the router you also have to address the second issue.

You will need to get the IP address of the wireless printer/router you are using at your office. It is the same IP address used to set the router up originally, and the IP address used to make changes to the router's settings.

Once you know the router's IP address goto Apple Preferences -> Print & Fax -> click on "+" to add a new printer and select "IP Printer" tab

Set protocol to: "Line Printer Daemon - LPD", enter the IP wireless router address in the Address space and leave Queue blank.

Give the printer a name, ie "HP 1120" and Location ie "Work", then select the HP Laserjet 1120 option under "print using". Then click add. That should set you up with your HP1120 printer as a choice in your main "Print & Fax" screen. The system may give you an option to test the printer. Select that and see if it is working.

Check the HP 1120 printer has a checkmark next to it in your general "Print & Fax" screen

Do a second trial print from Word or whatever other program you use. Be sure when you print you are sending the print material to the HP1120 printer and not any other printer.

Let us know if that worked.

Edited by karinlord