Sign in to follow this  
hurleyint1386

what would you od with 3500?

in september, im going to the apple store to get a mac, or 2 macs, or something. id like some input from other maccast viewers. the 3500 must include: airport express ($119) and a laptop. some things ive been considering are a 12" ibook, 20" imac with a gig of ram. the computers must also get the APP. tanks for your help. i hope some people can give me some input :D

you could just by a Mini, and give the other $3,000 to me....

well, okaaay... maybe that's not the best idea. I guess if I had the money, I would get the Airport Express like you said, for wireless access for sure. I don't really think I need two seperate computers, so I would tend to buy an iBook or Powerbook (probly powerbook, just because its slightly better), and get a really nice new External monitor to use with it. It looks like the 23 Inch Cinema HD display that Apple sells is the best bet, because its not the most expensive, but its not the smallest one... just middle of the line... This way, you've got two screens, but just the one computer. I have an iBook now, and I think an extra screen would come in very handy, but theyre just too expensive. However, you can get a great one within your $3,500 budget. That's just my opinion...

you could buy the airport and 3mac minis an d a cinema screen(the smallestr) lol jk but i think an ibook like porbally the 14 and the base powermac with a third pary screen, i got a sony screen with mine and i love it, not sure of the model tho, sry i got it from circuit city for like 350 so there

if i get the powerbook with the 23" flat panel, ill need to do some research and find out what i can get with the powerbook, like i want at last a gig of ram, and probably 15". if possible ill look at the 1.67 processor.

someone suggested this combination to me:

20" iMac 2Ghz

1 GB RAM

250 GB HD

APP

12" iBook

512 MB RAM

40 GB HD

APP

Airport Express

how would that be for a combo? ive heard a few mixed thoughts about the imac. but i was wondering if the imac has digital audio. does anyone know?

15" Powerbook

2gb RAM

100gb HDD

APP

23" Cinema HD Display

Airport Express

15" Powerbook

2gb RAM

100gb HDD

APP

23" Cinema HD Display

Airport Express

thanks for that suggestion, but that's way out of my price range. that's over $4k

wekk for 3500US I'd buy...

14' iBook, extra 512(1024 total) ram module(www.crucial.com)(very easy to install)

$1299+$75

17' iMac G5, extra 512(1024 total) ram module(www.crucial.com)

$1499+$75

Total Mac Cost

$2948

Airport Express

$129

.Mac Account

$99

1GB iPod Shuffle

$129

Total

$3305.00

and a nice restaurant for dinner...

$195!

wekk for 3500US I'd buy...

14' iBook, extra 512(1024 total) ram module(www.crucial.com)(very easy to install)

$1299+$75

17' iMac G5, extra 512(1024 total) ram module(www.crucial.com)

$1499+$75

Total Mac Cost

$2948

Airport Express

$129

.Mac Account

$99

1GB iPod Shuffle

$129

Total

$3305.00

and a nice restaurant for dinner...

$195!

I agree mostly, except I'd suggest a 12'' iBook and a 20'' iMac, if that still fits the price! If you're gonna have a nice big-screen Mac at home, then the 12'' would be nicer for portability reasons.

I have a 15'' PowerBook and absolutely love it, so don't get me wrong, but my boyfriend has a 12'' iBook and frankly, it's much nicer to use as a LAPtop...so...if you're gonna be utilizing the portability i'd go for the 12'' iBook (remember, iBooks have better battery life, too!).