Sign in to follow this  
ETD

2 instances of itunes, one central itunes library?

Recentley I purchased a nano for my wife, I myself have a shuffle and a video ipod.

My wife has a windows laptop that's connected wirelessly.

I registerd her computer as one of the 5 authorized computers for my itunes account.

I then shared out my music from my Mac Mini thinking she could create her own playlists,burn her own cd's and sync her own ipod from my music collection (which contains all her music, my music and my oldest sons music).

As it turns out, you can't do anything but listen to the music on her laptop.

Is there anyway she can sync her ipod, create her own playlists on her laptop running itunes from my shared music library playlist?

I can understand Apple wanting to keep from people syncing ipods across the net, but this is on an authorized machine on my home network.

I also tried to set up a central server and point her itunes instance on her laptop to the folder, however if she marks favorites or selects certain music, it then affects my library as well. (which strikes me as strange since each itunes instance has it's own library file, shouldn't that info be kept seperate in each library file?)

Ideally, I'd like her to be able to create her own playlists from my shared playlist and sync her ipod, burn an mp3 cd all from her own

instance of itunes on her own laptop.

Thanks

Perhaps you could try something like this:

1) On your wife's computer, turn OFF the options "Keep iTunes Music folder orgnaized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

2) Then, have her set her "iTunes Music folder location" to somewhere other than where yours is, perhaps somewhere on her comptuer.

3) Finally, import all of your music into her library by going to File -> Add to Library.. and selecting the top folder of your music library.

This way, I believe she will have her own library (so, playlists etc) but with your music. And there will only be one copy of the music lying around, which is managed by your computer.

DOWNSIDES: Her music library will NOT be automatically updated when music is added to your library. You will have to manually manage the music in her library. If you are like me and don't add music that often, then this wouldn't be a big deal... but if you add lots of music, then perhaps someone else can come up with a better solution for you.

I once set up a multi-user computer for someone with shared iTunes music by putting the location of the iTunes folders on the root of the hard drive. No sharing needed-- every time a user logged in, they would drag the "iTunes music" folder on the root into iTunes to make sure they had everything, and then would be good to go. Maybe a similar solution would work for you?