Sign in to follow this  
blooloo

what to do about !

1) how can i get my hard drive icon out of the dock, without losing it.

2)how can i stop having to sign in every time i switch my Imac G5 on.

3)how to do activate the password manager- as i have to keep typing in my passwords everytime i access pages.

have ticked the boxes, to remember me but no drop down boxes or anything to promt me.

simple questions from a simple guy.

your help will be appreciated.

thanks once again

regards

chris

I'm not sure what you mean by getting your HD icon out of the dock without deleting it. Icons in the dock are links or pointers to the actual apps or folders. If you want something out of the dock just drag it out and it will go poof affecting nothing except for the dock. To put them back just drag the original back to the dock, there's a dividing line that separates folder icons from application icons, folders on the right by the trash apps on the left.

If there is no hard drive icon on the desktop go to the Finder menu and select preferences. Once there click on the general button along the top and make sure that the box that indicates that you want to show hard drives of the desktop is checked.

Not needing to log on every time is an easy one.

• Under the apple menu select "System Preferences…" Once there select the accounts Preference Pane.

• Now you'll have to click the lock in the lower left corner of the screen to unlock the preference pane. This is the most secure of all preference panes and the only one always locked by default.

• Once you've unlocked it click on the login options button a little ways above the lock. The first item on the list the shows up should say "Automatically log in as:" Check the box to the left of that and then select your name from the list. I believe you'll need to type in your password again, but after that, no more logging in on startup.

I'm again not totally clear on what you mean with activating the password manager. You talked about pages, so I'm assuming you are talking about the internet, and since Safari is the default web browser on the Mac, I'm assuming that's what you're using.

• Open safari and pull up preferences via the Safari menu.

• Once there click on the "AutoFill" tab from the buttons along the top.

• Activate any of the three options that you want.

Now Safari requires that you manually chose to fill a form. This can be done in one of three ways. Chose AutoFill Form from the Edit menu, hit Command(Apple)-Shift-A or put the AutoFill button in your Address Bar and click it.

Don't know how to customize the Address Bar? Read on and find out.

• Chose "Customize Address Bar…" from the View menu.

• Find the AutoFill Forms button and drag it up with the buttons that are already there and put it wherever you want it.

• Click your new button, it's fun and easy.

Safari will turn the background color of the fields it fills in to a pale yellow, this helps identify which fields have been filled, and which have not.

I don't use Safari, I prefer Camino since it has a few options that safari doesn't even if it's a bit slower, so if any of that is wrong, feel free to correct me.

I hope that this helps. If I mine weren't the answers to the questions you asked, please clarify and I'll do my best to help. Good luck.

-Tom

I definitely advise against using the single-user mode (not having to type in the password each time you log in) on a daily basis. The multi-user mode is a simple measure to protect your personal data against theft and your system against possible malicious software. Most experienced users (including Adam Christianson, the host of the Maccast) create (at least) three accounts:

1. administrator account
  2. limited account (your main account)
  3. second limited account

The first you hardly use, because you can often access your administrator privileges by filling in the name and password of the administrator. The second is for daily use; this is your main account. The third is for troubleshooting, and is also hardly used.

Why these three accounts? Well, it has been proven by hard (and painful) experience that this is the best setup for most users. You're somewhat protected from being all-powerful as an administrator, and if your software gets confused, you can use the dummy account to test if that is because of the settings in your main account. You simply log into your dummy account and see if you can reproduce the same error. If not, then the error is probably in the settings of your main account, otherwise, probably in the application itself, or something you installed recently.

What other measures you should take to protect yourself, depends on your situation. Feel free to ask if you're interested.

Single user mode is the unix shell that you get when you start up holding command-s. Automatic login is what this is concerned with. And as for the security, I use auto login because unless someone breaks into my house and then turns on my comp and brings some blank CDs, I'm secure. And if they steal it, it's not hard to take out the HD and get any info off of it.

I agree with not using the Admin as everyday user (in theory) but I have done it since OS X 10.0 and it hasn't been an issue yet. This is not smart. Some day I will do something awful to my computer, just like I never backed up until I lost everything. If you are a less experienced user leaving your Admin account alone unless it's needed it is an absolute must. I just read an article on digg about someone who deleted their /usr folder, he couldn't have done that if he was logged in as a less privileged user.

Here is that digg page.

thanks for all the replies and was great to get such help.

this is just so rewarding being part of the maccast. have enjoyed every bit of the experience

thanks once again

this aiussie owes you a few beers if and when we meet

Hey, this is totally changing the topic, but when you mentioned being an Aussie, I had a question I just had to ask. Here in the states we're told that Foster's is Australian for beer, and I have also been told that they don't drink the stuff Down Under because it's such crap. Can you shed some light on that rumor?

Thakns,

-Tom

of course we drink Fosters- a great beer.

it is made by a company called- "carlton and united breweries..

it is a brand name but certainly not aussie for beer. aussie for beer is thanks i'll have another....lol.

as for not drinking it- crikey- if they keep making it we will keep drinking it.also its a lovely drop.

look me up when and if you come over and will get some for you.

blooloo

of course we drink Fosters- a great beer.

it is made by a company called- "carlton and united breweries..

it is a brand name but certainly not aussie for beer. aussie for beer is thanks i'll have another....lol.

as for not drinking it- crikey- if they keep making it we will keep drinking it.also its a lovely drop.

look me up when and if you come over and will get some for you.

blooloo

Hey sweet, thanks for clearing that up! If I ever do find my self down under I'll certainly look you up and hold you to that.

-Tom

Hey, this is totally changing the topic, but when you mentioned being an Aussie, I had a question I just had to ask. Here in the states we're told that Foster's is Australian for beer, and I have also been told that they don't drink the stuff Down Under because it's such crap. Can you shed some light on that rumor?

Thakns,

-Tom

I know Mexicans don't drink Corona because it sucks.

I know Mexicans don't drink Corona because it sucks.

Is that true? I thought it was just because it's expensive while Tecate is cheap. I live in LA in a very mexican neighborhood and my neighbors drink plenty of corona.