Sign in to follow this  
joe28753

apple axes the brushed metal in leopard

To be honest, the new style looks awful on CRT screens. The brushed metal is much prettier on CRTs.

hmm.. havent noticed. i've never used the new style on a crt. i've only used brushed metal on a crt.

I just read about this. I hope this is just someone's idea and not a final version of what we'll see in the public release of Leopard. Apple still has to remember that its got to compete with MS Vista and it's "Aero Glass" windows treatment. I just thought that it looked sort of dull that's all.

Gotta say that I use both a CRT and an LCD with the same computer (my laptop connects to a CRT when I'm at my desk, and I use the built-in display everywhere else) and I've never noticed a difference. I for one am glad to be rid of the brushed metal. I was a very early adopter of UNO simply to get rid of brushed metal. At first it was hot, new and unique, now it looks dated. I'm hoping that the blue widgets go away as well. The new ones in iTunes (like the scroll bars) just look so sleek.

i think that the ¨uniformity¨ looks ok in the screenshot but again i agree with nospoon that apple has to destroy aero glass or at least show some sort of competition.

I hope Apple can show you don't need Aero Glass, because those are resource hogs in Windows. I'd rather see a productive desktop than all those beads and mirrors to lure new users and impress visitors, but which ultimately distract from what you want to do with your computer (well, if you do more than just impress other people). I've read people using Windows applications under Parallels, which has no Aero Glass support IIRC, and really don't miss it.

But apple have always managed to do both. Windows users are always amazed at how pretty the window effects are in os x anyway (expose, genie, the ripples when you drop an dashboard widget). and I doubt this will be at the expense of performance, since knowing apple if a computer can't cope with it easily (widgets rippling is a good example) it will be turned off automatically.

I hope we get to see a whole new look and a change which will be revealed at the last moment!!!!

I hope we get to see a whole new look and a change which will be revealed at the last moment!!!!

i want a revelation so to speak but i want a sneak peak at WWDC, leaopard hasnt been spoken much about until we heard about the delay!

i want a revelation so to speak but i want a sneak peak at WWDC, leaopard hasnt been spoken much about until we heard about the delay!

I think it's better not to leak any info about it. Since it is delayed they should just keep tight lipped about it and if they could get it released the last day in September people would be ecstatic.

I think it's better not to leak any info about it. Since it is delayed they should just keep tight lipped about it and if they could get it released the last day in September people would be ecstatic.

that could be better, but they need to give the developers a near final version for testing, so the secrets are bound to get out anyway, they might as well tell us.

that could be better, but they need to give the developers a near final version for testing, so the secrets are bound to get out anyway, they might as well tell us.

Good point, I forgot about the developers.

i was just looking back at the screen shots and realised that in Leopard the little ¨book symbol¨ which is on the opened tab has become more of an engraved symbol rather than the black outlines in Tiger and also that the refresh button has now got a slightly wider, rectangular appearance with the 'effect line' running straight through it rather than curved from one corner to the other. these may be little hints at other smaller things?

These are just my little observations but then again my eyes could be deceiving me!?

any other observations or thoughts?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04...opard_seed.html

yes I agree those icons do look a lot different the size, shape and that kind of shadow in the button that makes it look more 3D

For my two cents I liked the brushed steel waaaay better than this, I feel like it's a downgrade in style. Although looking at the other pictures, it's nice to finally have a unified interface.