Sign in to follow this  
[zerophase]

New destop time

Hey! I've been listenin to the show for a while and after hearing join the forums like 1000000 times i decided to join lol. Lately I've been considering a new destop for my bedroom. I'm current in High School and I'm planing to be a graphics design and website design for the future. (i do some small buisness website designing now, also i design for the university here) I'm not sure which destop suits my needs though. I was going to go with the mac mini because of the design and combine it with an apple moniter. But what i mainly use it for is aim, dreamweaver, photoshop, illustrator, flash, a few mircosoft office applications, itunes, and internet. I need something that will last me a long time, throught high school, and that I can depend on. under or around 2 grand though. I was going to go for the imac g5 20" but i like my room very peaceful and i would like it silent and i don;t know if the g5 can be that way. prevously i had a dell destop in my room and it was just too loud to keep on and it made my room temperature go up and i almost got sick from having it on... :? anyways what are your experience and recommendations?

I use my iBook off at college, and it has worked great for me. I do web design as well, and I run just about all the same programs you mentioned there. Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and Transmit are my main web design programs, and they work great on my iBook. I know you asked for a desktop, but maybe and iBook and a cheap Apple or some other brand external Monitor, if you like. I only mention this because I haven't purchased an Apple Desktop machine in about 3 years.

wow thanks for the quick reply... well since i do designing i also wanted to ask if the 32mb graphics card made a lot of a difference? cause i don't really know that i'll see the differnce but maybe its a mental thing :lol: and the reason i didn't want a laptop is because i don't think i'll really carry it anywhere and i have an external portable hd (40gb) if i need to transfer files. (all my prevous nonapple laptops have broken on me) i like the idea of having one permenate home setup. i'm also not all that fond of the imac design :( i dont like the white peice on the bottom of the sceen... i want an apple but i just don;t know which one to get! also my dad's powerbook got so hot once it burned my handed in the vent area under the screen...

after much concideration i am going to conside hooking up an laptop to a moniter and using a keyboard and mouse an opention.. wow now i can;t decided even more!

i know exactly what you're talking about. i want a new desktop/laptop for college, and there are so many different things that you could get, and it's just like pick and choose. i feel like a little boy in a toy shop when ever im in an apple store or on the apple website. i guess that's a good thing for apple though.... not a good thing for my bank though haha

get a powermacand heres why to spend the extra $

they last longer, because there much much more upgradeable than the imac.

at least thats howe i convinced my parents to get me a powermac over and imac lol

Yeah, I guess the reason I like the laptop, is it works almost as well as a desktop at home. This is especially true if you add the monitor, keyboard and mouse (especially wireless!). And, if for some reason you need to carry it around, you definitely can. And yeah, heat sometimes can be a problem. My iBook gets pretty toasty sometimes (well, right now, as we speak), but its not unbearable, and even though its a LAPtop, I use it on my lap very, very rarely. But, like I've said, just my opinion...

]after much concideration i am going to conside hooking up an laptop to a moniter and using a keyboard and mouse an opention.. wow now i can;t decided even more!

I think that is a good move since, as you mentioned, you are still in school and headed to college soon. The laptop would give you plenty of power to do what you want to do with it and you have the portability to take it back and forth from school to your parents if you go to a university that is away from home.

thanks for all your opinions. i am really thanking this for consideration for the long run. i don;t think the power mac is all that great because its for my room and i have no need to get a destop that powerful for my own room. i'll never use the dual processors up to their full potential. now about the notebook... is the ibook better or should i go some something like a powerbook? i don't want it to get too hot... also if i connect it to a moniter and i turn on the notebook, can i close the lid of the notebook or do i have to leave it open? Z(sorry if there are typos, i try to type too fast and i don;t prof read)

]thanks for all your opinions. i am really thanking this for consideration for the long run. i don;t think the power mac is all that great because its for my room and i have no need to get a destop that powerful for my own room. i'll never use the dual processors up to their full potential. now about the notebook... is the ibook better or should i go some something like a powerbook? i don't want it to get too hot... also if i connect it to a moniter and i turn on the notebook, can i close the lid of the notebook or do i have to leave it open? Z(sorry if there are typos, i try to type too fast and i don;t prof read)

I like the iBook, because the Powerbook price difference doesn't seem worth the Powerbook advantages. Oh, and I own the iBook, but that's only because my parents bought it for me, so they were going for cheap pricing, not faster and better. But I think that the choice is mostly just up to you.

However, the Powerbook does do Clamshell Mode, which is what you mentioned. What this means is that you close the Powerbook, plug in an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, and the use it like a regular desktop computer. The iBook cannot do this. Well... there is a program that replaces the iBook firmware and gives you the ability to do this. However, I've heard that the iBook doesn't disapate heat correctly with the lid closed, so it could be dangerous to the iBook's monitor.

The other monitor the Powerbook can do that the iBook can't is Screen Spanning mode. This means that you can plug in an external monitor and you then have double the screen space. The firmware replacement for the iBook also does this feature, so I don't think this is as big of a deal.

Anyway, there are the differences, and it sounds like you might want a Powerbook just for the Clamshell mode. So... yeah... I hope that helps.

ahh i c thanks for all your help.. i guess i'll check out prcing and get then get a powerbook then because of the clamshell mode. is it automatically activated? how would i turn it on and off? also the screen thing, if i only want to use the external montier that would work too right? like turn off screen spaning. probably i'll go with a 12" one. also what hardware such as cables do i need? and is that all included or what specific idems do i need?

from http://www.macosx.com/forums/archive/index...hp/t-46236.html ...

How to use your Powerbook lid closed.

1. Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your computer.

2. Close the computer's display to put the computer to sleep.

3. Connect the Apple VGA adapter that came with your computer to the VGA port on the external monitor or projector.

4. Connect the other end of the Apple VGA adapter to the video output port on the PowerBook G4 (12-inch) and PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI) computer. (Or relative to other sizes of Powerbooks.)

5. Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the computer.

Should be working now. :)

That should answer your question on how to do it. Just the External is "Clamshell Mode". Both monitors is "Screen Spanning". So, yes, you can do both. Also, the instructions there have all the hardware and cables you'll need. If you buy a Powerbook and Monitor both new, you should have everything included.

i c.. thansk for the help! so the powerbook includes the mini dvi to dvi connecter? also one quick question.. where are the speakers on the powerbook? when i hook it i'm gunna hook up the keyboard and mouse to the montier ports so its gunna be a lot easiler. i'm also gunna get external speakers... so thats all set.. so i believe i'm all set. nioceee

]i c.. thansk for the help! so the powerbook includes the mini dvi to dvi connecter? also one quick question.. where are the speakers on the powerbook? when i hook it i'm gunna hook up the keyboard and mouse to the montier ports so its gunna be a lot easiler. i'm also gunna get external speakers... so thats all set.. so i believe i'm all set. nioceee

I believe on the Powerbook, the speakers are to the left and the right of the keyboard. This might change, depending on the size of the Powerbook, but I think that's the case for all of them. And yes, I believe the Powerbook comes with the Mini DVI to DVI connector. My iBook came with one, and that was a year ago, so I would be surprised if current Powerbooks didn't have one.

ahh thanks... now i thought i didn;t have any more questions but i just popped into my mind one last one. the 12powerbook runs off a resolution of 1024x768. if i hook up an external moniter, will the resolution still be that or will it turn into the resolution of 1680x1050 of the 20" moniter? i don;t want to hook up a moniter and have it run off of 1024x768... will it autoadjust to widescreen?

from what i heard it should automatically change the resolution to a higher setting to match the apple displays, i just need a comformation...

You can set the resolution independantly of the laptop display. It will however try to use 1024x768 on the external display when you first connect it. You can change the resolution under displays in system preferences.

You can set the resolution independantly of the laptop display.  It will however try to use 1024x768 on the external display when you first connect it.  You can change the resolution under displays in system preferences.

Yeah, I think this is right. I'm not sure, since I don't use an external monitor, but I believe there are two completely different sets of settings for each monitor.

sweeettt... i'll go for it then. my final setup will be:

12" powerbook

apple 20" moniter

wired keyboard

mighty mouse

jbl creature ll

sennhensier hd497

my ipod

ipod dock.

sounds good for me.

lmao... i relized i don;t have 3 grand to waste... so i might just go with the mini setup cause its cheaper (like a grand cheaper).. or wait a while to get more money to go for the laptop setup :lol:

let me tell you something about the mighty mouse.... its good but expensive... i got a kingston wireless 2 button mouse with scroll (mac os x 10.4.2 supports all 2 buttons) and a cheap wireless keyboard for about 60$ compared to 59 for mouse and 29 for keyboard (but hey im cheap). JBL creature are great speakers especially cuz i use it for ipod and computer (powerbook). apple displays are nice but once again expensive, if your looking to save money CUT CORNERS ON THE keyboard mouse and display not the computer because you will regret that the most (its happened to me, thus my powerbook) invest in the laptop its well worth the extra money just get a cheaper mouse keyboard and display and you could save some money :)