Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Adobe Lightroom

I just got Lightroom today based on a topic here on the forum and I have to say I Love it. It's definitely worth getting regardless of if you are using RAW or jpg. It treats jpgs exactly the same way as RAW and gives you the same RAW workflow tools with jpgs. It's also very cool the way it works with the files. Everything you import stays exactly the same in the finder and any editing you do in lightroom is just a set of instructions that never affects the original file outside of lightroom. So if you open it in lightroom then it looks like you have edited it, and has a history, but if you open it from the finder it looks like the original file. By doing this there is not 2 copies of everything plus the edited file is not a huge file. As far as the actual editing I was able to do things here that I couldn't even touch in photoshop and I would consider myself an expert photoshop user. So if you are a photoshop user and don't see a need for lightroom trust me there is a need. I still have some quirks I can't quite figure out. Like for example if you crop an image as 5x7 then export it why does it open in photoshop as 10x7?

I found http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/tutorials.html and used this to get me started.

I just got Lightroom today based on a topic here on the forum and I have to say I Love it. It's definitely worth getting regardless of if you are using RAW or jpg. It treats jpgs exactly the same way as RAW and gives you the same RAW workflow tools with jpgs. It's also very cool the way it works with the files. Everything you import stays exactly the same in the finder and any editing you do in lightroom is just a set of instructions that never affects the original file outside of lightroom. So if you open it in lightroom then it looks like you have edited it, and has a history, but if you open it from the finder it looks like the original file. By doing this there is not 2 copies of everything plus the edited file is not a huge file. As far as the actual editing I was able to do things here that I couldn't even touch in photoshop and I would consider myself an expert photoshop user. So if you are a photoshop user and don't see a need for lightroom trust me there is a need. I still have some quirks I can't quite figure out. Like for example if you crop an image as 5x7 then export it why does it open in photoshop as 10x7?

I found http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/tutorials.html and used this to get me started.

Hi just mucking around with the free trial myself, The only thing I don't like so far is I find the viewer fairly slow.

So I thought I could use iphoto as a full screen viewer by loading my pic's in lightroom first for editing then transfering

them to iphoto but you loose the edit as it reverts back to the original in iphoto. too bad you can't save the changes made

as in photoshop.

Hi just mucking around with the free trial myself, The only thing I don't like so far is I find the viewer fairly slow.

So I thought I could use iphoto as a full screen viewer by loading my pic's in lightroom first for editing then transfering

them to iphoto but you loose the edit as it reverts back to the original in iphoto. too bad you can't save the changes made

as in photoshop.

You can save the edits. You just have to export the images. It's not really worth it though if you are going to export them and then use iphoto. Lightroom is really a replacement for iphoto and wouldn't work well as a companion. No idea about the viewer being slow though. It's plenty snappy on macbook pro 2ghz w/1GB RAM.

You can save the edits. You just have to export the images. It's not really worth it though if you are going to export them and then use iphoto. Lightroom is really a replacement for iphoto and wouldn't work well as a companion. No idea about the viewer being slow though. It's plenty snappy on macbook pro 2ghz w/1GB RAM.

Just wish it gave you the option of saving your edited image as a copy like you can in CS2 or elements.

And don't know why the viewer is slow on my imac 2.16 2gb ram, when you go to the next picture in

the library it is all pixelated for 2 to 3 seconds then sharpens. Have tried aperture and nikon capture NX

but prefer lightrooms speed over aperture and capture NX is very slow when adjusting.

Just wish it gave you the option of saving your edited image as a copy like you can in CS2 or elements.

And don't know why the viewer is slow on my imac 2.16 2gb ram, when you go to the next picture in

the library it is all pixelated for 2 to 3 seconds then sharpens. Have tried aperture and nikon capture NX

but prefer lightrooms speed over aperture and capture NX is very slow when adjusting.

If you have photoshop you can right click on an image and choose edit in photoshop. It will then give you the option of editing a copy with lightroom adjustments. I would say that doing this is mostly just a waste of disk space though. The edits are in the xml file so why bother saving a copy of the photo? As far as the viewer speed make it render standard sized previews and that should speed things up.

If you have photoshop you can right click on an image and choose edit in photoshop. It will then give you the option of editing a copy with lightroom adjustments. I would say that doing this is mostly just a waste of disk space though. The edits are in the xml file so why bother saving a copy of the photo? As far as the viewer speed make it render standard sized previews and that should speed things up.

Thanks Joshr, I have changed the view settings and it much faster now.

I think this will replace iphoto for me, and photoshop for editing, I have elements 4.0

for mac and will use that for playing around with layers and such, but for general editing

light room is amazingly fast. I also tried a trail of Aperture but although its pretty good

I still prefer Lightroom.

Thanks Joshr, I have changed the view settings and it much faster now.

I think this will replace iphoto for me, and photoshop for editing, I have elements 4.0

for mac and will use that for playing around with layers and such, but for general editing

light room is amazingly fast. I also tried a trail of Aperture but although its pretty good

I still prefer Lightroom.

If you start using it seriously I suggest that you back up your database often. It can be on the same disk just make sure you have another copy. I had it crash once and corrupt the database. Worse case scenario it wouldn't hurt the actual photos but it's easy to backup the database just in case.

If you start using it seriously I suggest that you back up your database often. It can be on the same disk just make sure you have another copy. I had it crash once and corrupt the database. Worse case scenario it wouldn't hurt the actual photos but it's easy to backup the database just in case.

Have all my pic's backed up on two different external drives. lost my stepdaughters shower pic's once , my wife was pretty angry with me.

Just checked my second drive and only have 32 gb of space left, guess its time for a bigger drive. Especially since I'm on holidays for 2 weeks

and have relatives coming from europe and plan to take a lot of pic's with my new camera.

Edited by neil_jo

Have all my pic's backed up on two different external drives. lost my stepdaughters shower pic's once , my wife was pretty angry with me.

Just checked my second drive and only have 32 gb of space left, guess its time for a bigger drive. Especially since I'm on holidays for 2 weeks

and have relatives coming from europe and plan to take a lot of pic's with my new camera.

When using lightroom the database and the photo's are separate. If you lose the database you will only lose your edits not your photo's it could be a real pain but not the end of the world. The reason I mentioned it is because when I first started using it I thought that backing up the database backed up the pictures and so I would need to plug in my firewire drive to do it. What I found later though was that you can do a backup to a different folder of just the database all the time then occasionally backup everything to an external drive. This protects you from a program crash potentially corrupting the database and losing your edits.

Have you ever used Aperture? Can you compare them? I've used Aperture for a while and did try the trial of Lightroom and personally didn't really like the layout... What do you think?

I also tried them both , but preferred Lightroom over Apurture. I just found that I liked the way clarity and sharpening tools worked.

Also I had elements 3/4/and 5 on a P.C. and like that I can create tags then just drag and drop them on the selected photos.

Also find lightroom to be a bit faster.

I also used aperture a bit and didn't really like it. I found it to be a resource hog and I didn't like the way it handled the files. I prefered the way lightroom interfaces with photoshop and I prefer the familiar adobe camera raw tools.

One other point I thought i'd mention, my brother and I have both been using

Lightroom and aperture. He has a black macbook and finds that it runs very hot

while using Aperture.

I also used aperture a bit and didn't really like it. I found it to be a resource hog and I didn't like the way it handled the files. I prefered the way lightroom interfaces with photoshop and I prefer the familiar adobe camera raw tools.

After about 2 weeks of mucking around with lightroom , I love the editing features, but am

disappointed with the library. I had 307 pictures that I exported to my desktop and it never

finds all 307 pictures. I always get varying results, there's always 30 to 50 pictures that it

can't find the files. I think I will still use it to import from my camera for editing then export them

and import them to iphoto for viewing.