Sign in to follow this  
MacNewB

DVD to iPod? Your best space saving settings!

Ok, so I wanted to see if we can do a group experiment.

I currently use Mediafork to put some dvds on my ipod. I get 400-800mb per movie depending on length. This is concerning ipod viewing only, as this would look horrendous on my hdtv!

Anyone have a set up that saves even more space for even more movies on the ipod?

Maybe even have a shootout with a specific movie and apps to get the most movie for the least ammount of space!

Try handbrake it has levels that you can adjust the file size. I don't remember what the minimum size is though.

Try handbrake it has levels that you can adjust the file size. I don't remember what the minimum size is though.

handbrake is the same things as mediafork. The next version will be called handbrake again. Either way though the answer is the same, adjust the settings till you get a smaller file size. You might try looking up setting recommendations in the google.

I used to use HandBrake, but then I stopped. I found that it was taking around 6 hours to convert a dvd. Then I realised that it wasn't my CPU (G4) that was the bottleneck, but my optical drive. So now I rip the DVDs using MacTheRipper, and convert them using visual hub. It takes a fraction of the time.

I used to use HandBrake, but then I stopped. I found that it was taking around 6 hours to convert a dvd. Then I realised that it wasn't my CPU (G4) that was the bottleneck, but my optical drive. So now I rip the DVDs using MacTheRipper, and convert them using visual hub. It takes a fraction of the time.

Wow 6hours is crazy, I use a 2.16 GHz iMac 1gb ram and it takes between 1 and 2 hours direct from the optical drive.

Wow 6hours is crazy, I use a 2.16 GHz iMac 1gb ram and it takes between 1 and 2 hours direct from the optical drive.

2Ghz Macbook Pro 1GB of RAM ~40 minutes from the optical drive.

HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE! HANDBRAKE!

ITS THE BEST for coping movies in my opinion, even if there protected it gets it!