Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
monaci

Parallels & Vista

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I have an Intel iMac with 2GB Ram & 500GB Hard Drive and have been running Parallels successfully for some time now with Windows XP as the OS when in that environment.

I bought Vista the other day and when I tried to upgrade XP to Vista I get the followiong message

"You must make the following changes before installing Windows This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer. The compatibility report will be saved to the current Windows desktop."

Does anyone know what the hell this means and what I can do to solve this??

Thanks

Hi

I have an Intel iMac with 2GB Ram & 500GB Hard Drive and have been running Parallels successfully for some time now with Windows XP as the OS when in that environment.

I bought Vista the other day and when I tried to upgrade XP to Vista I get the followiong message

"You must make the following changes before installing Windows This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer. The compatibility report will be saved to the current Windows desktop."

Thanks

Two things. One the vista EULA prohibits virtulization unless you have vista ultimate. Still since it's only the EULA that prohibits it and nothing else I believe there is a parralles update which is needed to use vista.

Hi, I can't help you installing Vista, as I haven't installed it on on a physical computer or via parallels, but but ti add to what joshr said: If you wan to run Vista via Parallels (a from virtualisation) you must have either Vista Business or Vista Ultimate NOT Vista Home Premium/Basic

Hi

Thanks

Could you Install Vista using bootcamp and have parallels boot/run it from this partition? Give it a try, it wont cost you anything as you have all the software and bootcamp is free.

Edited by zionlion

Could you Install Vista using bootcamp and have parallels boot/run it from this partition? Give it a try, it wont cost you anything as you have all the software and bootcamp is free.

You could try that but I am pretty sure it is just a parallels update away from success. As far as the EULA though bootcamp is all kosher.

And, of course, while the EULA is perhaps not enforced in the current versions of Windows Vista, this may change in future updates, or in a release of Service Pack 1. Microsoft usually does a gradual introduction of concepts, instead of forcing people right away.

You could try that but I am pretty sure it is just a parallels update away from success. As far as the EULA though bootcamp is all kosher.

I could have been misreading the chatter on the Parallels forum but it seems to me Parallels may have started including code in their software blocking Windows versions from running which were not EULA compliant. The concern being Microsoft coming after Parallels for enabling people to break the EULA thus reducing their profit...

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=11159

on the other hand - I just found this - another user with the same issue and the solution:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread11140.html#post57416

Edited by karinlord

Am I correct to assume that this trick only applies to upgrade versions, not full versions? How quaint! Whoever in MS marketing thought of this stupid provision? Home power users want the protection of a VM just as hard as business users, because malware doesn't care on what computer it is installed.

I can't imagine that MS will eventually patch such a workaround, because they'd loose money if people use upgrade versions instead of full versions. Furthermore, MS seems to be anal about unauthorized use of their software. Why else would they have made so many different varieties of the same OS version? Most OS manufacturers have just one flavor of their OS, to avoid confusion. Not Microsoft, alas. They seem to like confusing legal buyers for some reason. No wonder pirates marvel in this new opportunity for suckering people to buy their warez.

Microsoft is making it so easy for the bad guys ;)

Am I correct to assume that this trick only applies to upgrade versions, not full versions? How quaint! Whoever in MS marketing thought of this stupid provision? Home power users want the protection of a VM just as hard as business users, because malware doesn't care on what computer it is installed.

I got lost some where <g>. Could you clarify the "trick" you are referring to?

Are you talking about the "clean install process using Vista upgrade DVD's" as proposed by Paul Thurrott and discussed in detail on several of Leo Laport's podcasts?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Or something else?

Edited by karinlord

The trick you referred to in your post:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread11140.html#post57416

You can clone and dump the VM anytime as long as you stay on the same computer.

Interesting side note though, for whatever reason I had a horrible time getting XP up and running on my parents iMac. Eventually I just copied my VM over to their system. Parallels did require a new purchase code (I had already bought them a copy so no issue) - but I did not need to re-enter the XP code! Apparently XP could not tell it was running on a new system. Now I had already purchased a copy of XP for my parents as well so I have no guilt on running the same XP on two different machines, but it does leave food for thought.