Does anyone have experience with Mozy, the online backup site?

It sounds great--any drawbacks to using the service?

Edited by vannbaker

Does anyone have experience with Mozy, the online backup site?

It sounds great--any drawbacks to using the service?

mozy_logo.png

The service Adam was speaking of is called "Mozy". Although it has been existence for the Windows platform for many years it is definitely not ready for Mac users.

Yes, they did released a Mac OS X client recently, but it is still in "Beta" state according to the company. But from my experience of Macintosh software over the past 22 years this is definitely an Alpha state software and should not be used until it had been improved. I definitely would NOT recommend it to any Mac users at this time.

You can read the account of my experience in my blog.

Regards,

-- Vinko

Vinko,

That's too bad. The prices are certainly good. Hopefully they move fast to improve it.

I've used Mozy for a few months now, and while the service has been patchy, they've slowly (but steadily) been rolling out updates and improving the product. There was an ongoing problem with scheduled back-ups hanging, but that was largely fixed with v0.9x

I had a problem with v0.9.3 using a lot of ram (800mb+) I emailed support and they got straight back to me saying that 0.9.3.1 had just been released that day. I checked and the auto update had already picked this up and it's worked fine ever since.

Support is pretty good too, I've had a few niggles and they've always been pretty quick to respond and as helpful as they can be, given they're dealing with a beta app. On one occasion I contacted them saying I couldn't understand how to use the restore function; it turned out I had features missing from the web based client; they replied again saying they'd look into reasons why, and then again a few days later telling me they'd fixed it. And sure enough everything was where it should be.

Mozy seems to be becoming a pretty good product, in fact - I'd just come onto the forum to say as much, as I know Adam has mentioned it a few times but doesn't seem to use it now. And Victor mentioned on the Loop that he's tried it and had had problems with it... maybe it's time to try it again guys!

oh, and you get 2GB of storage free when you sign up - if thats all you use you need never pay a cent.

I guess you always get what you pay for. I'm not trusting my data to a free service, nor a service that isn't solid from day one. You have only one chance to prove yourself for something as essential as off-line backup. Backup software should never be published as a public beta, really never. You never recover from the bad reputation, caused by the beta crashes.

My 2 cents.

I guess you always get what you pay for. I'm not trusting my data to a free service, nor a service that isn't solid from day one. You have only one chance to prove yourself for something as essential as off-line backup. Backup software should never be published as a public beta, really never. You never recover from the bad reputation, caused by the beta crashes.

My 2 cents.

True, in part. I did debate myself; the justification of charging for a beta service.

The actual security of the data seems pretty sound. I've had no genuine need to use the service yet, but the test retrievals I've done have worked well. And I wouldn't 'trust' my data to any single service - the files I have backed-up to Mozy are also saved to separate HD's and DVD. Mozy would only be needed as a last resort.

Though the security that Mozy should bring - that the work I slaved over for the last 36 hours won't be lost should I return home and find my Mac has fried - is worth the few $ a month I pay.

In all, I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen - I just though it was worth flagging up to other Mac users. It seems to have dropped off the radar a little - the last posts in this thread were from last year - Mozy's improved a lot since then.

I have been using Mozy since it started. I just recently switched over to the Mac platform and continued to use this service. I pay $4.95/month for this service and think this is a reasonable price. The first backup can take a long time (a real time time as I backup 19 G). I only backup documents, photos, etc. The service is owned by EMC. EMC knows something about storage. A nice feature is similar to time machine where you have backup by dates but it does not go back a far.

This should NOT be your only backup method. I personally use Time Machine and Superduper. This is offsite storage only which is slow to recover (but they will send you DVDs for a price). I believe it is extremely important to have an offsite backup strategy in case you equipment is damaged or stolen. Other option is Jungle Disk powered by Amazon S3. I have not used this service but i know a few people who are happy with it. This service charges .15 a gig per month.

Of course, if you have .Mac, you can backup your personal files there as well. Of course, not your media files (photo's, music, movies), because those are too big, but your e-mail, letters and other text documents. 10 GB should be enough for most people.