Sign in to follow this  
RAguilera

iTunes Sharing, 2 user accounts, one machine

Prior to Tiger, I was able to use iTunes sharing with Fast User Switching so that 2 different accounts on one machine could listen to each others' libraries.

Since upgrading, this functionality seems broken. Can someone confirm that it's actually gone, or is there something wrong with my setup.

I'm not trying to use a single library for multiple users. I've looked on the Apple support site, and it seems to imply that for recent versions of iTunes, the Fast User Switching method is still the way to go.

See the first 3 paragraphs of http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93195

Something did change in Tiger with regard to iTunes and Fast User Switching, but it's not exactly "Music sharing".

When logged in as user A, if I launch iTunes and set sharing preferences to "Share my music" and "Look for shared music"; then, leaving iTunes running on user A, use Fast User Switching to log in as user B, I can launch iTunes, set its preferences to "Look for shared music", and wait for the shared playlist of user A's iTunes to appear in the list of playlists, click the playlist and wait for the library to load, and then play music from user A's library. That still works (for me, anyway).

What doesn't work with Tiger is to leave iTunes playing on user A and switch to user be and still have user A's music playing. iTunes now automatically pauses when you fast user switch. (so does Real Player and Windows Media Player, for that matter.) I think Apple has now decided that the sound output resource belongs exclusively to the currently active user. (I can see the argument for that, but I personally prefer the other way, and wish there was an option to revert to it.)

I've noticed that iTunes now pauses when you switch users.

Glad to know that the music sharing still works, at least for other people. When I turn it on, other users' libraries never show up, athough if I switch back to that user, the preference pane shows music sharing as being "on, with no users connected" (or something to that effect).

Is anyone else having this problem?

-Ray

Have you checked that the 2nd user account's iTunes has "Look for shared music" checked?

Any new firewall software installed? (A firewall applies to local paths as well as external ones.)

Check Applications/Utilities/Directory Access/Services tab to be sure Bonjour (nee Renezvous) is active.

Thanks for the suggestions. Both users do have Sharing turned on, and the firewall is allowing Music Sharing. I will check on Bonjour tonight when I get home.

I spent more than an hour on Saturday at the Apple Store genius bar in Emeryville, CA where the guy hadn't heard of music sharing in this way. He suggested a rather hacky way of pointing 2 users at 1 music folder, but that doesn't really do what I need it to.

I was surprised that he had never heard of this functionality, since Apple alludes to it on their website (although there's not much documentation on it).

-Ray