Bobby Ogata

sending files from Neo Office to MS Office users

Hello all,

I'm in the process of downloading Neo Office and was wondering how well the formatting is maintained when sending files to people who use Word. For example if I were to create a resume and email it to a potential employer, they open it using MS Word, would the document open looking the same?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of downloading Neo Office and was wondering how well the formatting is maintained when sending files to people who use Word. For example if I were to create a resume and email it to a potential employer, they open it using MS Word, would the document open looking the same?

Ive used the two. I have even seen the formatting between the Windows version and Mac version seem different.

If i were send out a resume, send it out in PDF. That looks the same pretty much everywhere. And PDF is a standard on all platforms.

You can just print out to PDF and voila! Its created.

I use NeoOffice and have rare issues when saving complexly formatted docs such as resumés. These issues are rare, but I wouldn't risk it. However, I'd recommend using the rich text format (rtf) rather than PDF. This is because some (if not all) versions of Adobe's reader don't let you highlight test as we can in Preview. RTF is an open standard and should look the same wherever you send it. Plus it's then easier for them to deal with since Word can open RTF and manipulate just as easily as it can DOC format. At the end of the day NeoOffice is a perfect replacement for Word for just about everyone. It may be lacking some features, but not many, and none that I use on a regular basis. Sure beats the heck out of office's price tag.

-Tom

I use NeoOffice and have rare issues when saving complexly formatted docs such as resumés. These issues are rare, but I wouldn't risk it. However, I'd recommend using the rich text format (rtf) rather than PDF. This is because some (if not all) versions of Adobe's reader don't let you highlight test as we can in Preview. RTF is an open standard and should look the same wherever you send it. Plus it's then easier for them to deal with since Word can open RTF and manipulate just as easily as it can DOC format. At the end of the day NeoOffice is a perfect replacement for Word for just about everyone. It may be lacking some features, but not many, and none that I use on a regular basis. Sure beats the heck out of office's price tag.

-Tom

Depending on your industry pdf may not work for a resume you may need to use a rtf file. As a designer I just won't apply if it's a company that won't accept a pdf resume but that kind of attitude may not work for many people.