Sign in to follow this  
sublimaze1

mpeg, avi --> imovie

Long time ago, I converted some DV stuff of the kids to mpeg. Did this with a pc

getting around to making them into movies / dvds, I have found that they are all incompatible.

They run under my VLC client, but not under quicktime or imovie

I also have a Casio digital camera that I have snapped a few avi clips which are also terribly incompatible

anyway, I need a program that will take ALL these files and convert them to useable mpeg or even mov files that imovie will accept so that I can get these nine years of kids videotaped (is that word still legal) stuff onto DVD and archived.

Thanks

WJ

Thanks ... I'll let you know how it worked ....

Okay, I am baffled.

not only are my avi files not working (they never did) but all my mpg files are not being opened by quicktime. "File format not supported" These have always opened.

Any help?

What exactly did you do to your files? I assume you'd know you should never ever overwrite your old files. I also assumed you'd convert those mpeg files to mov, because that is the native QuickTime format.

.mov in quicktime is often a container format. you can chop off bits of video save it in .mov file in mere seconds however the native file format is still the same til you actually export it, so may be this is the reson for your struggle.

If i'm right imovie and ilife use quicktime to understand media files, if quicktime doesn't understand them then imovie won't, so to get nearly everyformat working - perian

http://perian.org/

Its pretty simple to install (drag) and makes your life also easier.

for the mpeg files you'll need to buy the quicktime codec off apple (unless you buy rediculusly expensive pro apps), you have to buy it i beleive due to some liencing fees

if you get these components then you shouldn't need to convert them to get them into imovie = save time and quality.

You do need to convert them to get them into iMovie. I just export them as a 100% quality mp4 file. iMovie likes them just fine.