alpharay

Give me few good reason to buy Apple TV

Guys,

I have never thought of buying Apple TV until I hooked up my laptop to my TV one day to show my kid some TV show I download from iTune. I like the "FrontRow" experience a lot. Now I am considering buying an Apple TV unit.

Of course, it is a $300 box; and I want a good reason for me to buy it. Especially since I know the contents are not in HD quality, it is just a bit difficult for me to do it.

I guess I am looking for a feature that I may have missed. Can somebody kindly give me their reason of loving their unit ?

Also, do anybody know if I can stream HD quality movie to Apple TV ? What kind of quality I expect to see ?

thanks

ray

I can't make that jump for all the same reasons. Does anyone else want to see a DVD drive in the thng? Charge me another $50 and throw a drive in it then I can put it in the bedroom and forget about any other device. Heck fire I would save up for one in the living room too. I just don't need stacks of hardware sitting on my dresser.

Guys,

I have never thought of buying Apple TV until I hooked up my laptop to my TV one day to show my kid some TV show I download from iTune. I like the "FrontRow" experience a lot. Now I am considering buying an Apple TV unit.

Of course, it is a $300 box; and I want a good reason for me to buy it. Especially since I know the contents are not in HD quality, it is just a bit difficult for me to do it.

I guess I am looking for a feature that I may have missed. Can somebody kindly give me their reason of loving their unit ?

Also, do anybody know if I can stream HD quality movie to Apple TV ? What kind of quality I expect to see ?

thanks

ray

Check out MacBreak #64 which is a review of the Apple TV. You can download it from iTunes or stream from here.

Alpharay,

On a post a few days ago I expressed my disappointment with the Apple tv because it was coming up in black and white on my standard tv (component) and the streaming feature seemed pretty lousy. Well, after fixing a setting on my tv to get color and a simple restart of my wireless network the thing is working like a charm now. This is a great toy that is only going to get better with software updates and new content.

I was initially worried about the 40g hard drive, but honestly I don't even use it. It's much more convenient just to stream from my iMac, where my library is stored (I have a brand new Apple Extreme with a network of 102.11g computers). While I admit that I am not a video snob (still have a standard tv), this machine has lots of potential. The HD content already available is great. The movie trailers for instance look gorgeous and podcasts like the Washington Post have high-def videos that are great. I really think there is going to be an explosion of this kind of content as more people get hooked up and I think that iTunes could put Netflix and Amazon out of business if they did a HD movie rental service (which they are hinting at). If you are willing to invest in some extra hard drive space I think you can start treating your DVDs like your CDs. I can't tell you how much DVD content I don't watch just because I don't want to go looking for it in my big collection. Handbrake makes it so easy and elegant to turn your DVDs into Apple TV-ready content. For instance, I have a lot of concerts on DVD that I don't tend to watch, but I've ripped them into iTunes and can watch them anytime I want now.

I was initially skeptical of this machine until I heard great reviews from the Macgeek and others. I am really glad I took the plunge. But if you do decide you want to buy it be warned that there is a 10 percent re-packing fee if you end up wanting to return it.

Alpharay,

But if you do decide you want to buy it be warned that there is a 10 percent re-packing fee if you end up wanting to return it.

How circuit city of them. Thats ridiculous.

I guess that's the new Apple Inc. (without Computer). Expect similar restrictions when you return the iPhone.

Apple TV is worth it if you have a lot invested in iTunes, a good TV, and good surround sound. And invested in iTunes doesn't necessarily mean money, time as well. I've spent many hours meticulously organizing 7000+ audio files. And I've ditched the cable company in favor of buying the shows I like on iTunes. This works for me because I don't have much time and can never catch The Office when it airs. If you're into video podcasts, they look great and there's tons of great free content delivered in iTunes. It's easy to set up, on screen menus are great. There are draw backs too, which you can find in any review, but overall I'm extremely pleased with this product.

I picked one up on Friday of last week and have not used it for any great period of time but on the whole I'd say spend the money.

Granted there isn't anything that you can't do with a few long cables to connect your PC/Mac to the TV but the frontrow experience when you're playing music and have friends round beats having to go back to the Computer to change tracks hands down.

I have a number of Podcasts (both Video and Audio) that I subscribe to and it's good to be able to watch/listen to them on my TV/Stereo while my Girlfriend uses the computer at the same time.

The real reason I bought the device was because I'm moving to a bigger house and the Computer will not be close to my TV; for this reason alone I feel that the Apple TV is worth the money as it will enable me to access my media content directly from my TV.

If you've read my other post the only issue I have with the device is that it will not stay wirelessly connected to my Network but I'll get that sorted in due course.

You could always buy an iPod and use the composite out cable (not included but is the same used with old camcorders, just switch red and yellow and it'll be perfect, trust me) to hook it up to your TV.

Guys,

thanks

ray

I got one for free from Apple. It's a long story, but in short: I am a bartender, and one of the lead developers of the apple tv came in to my place on vacation, and we got to talking, and next thing I knew he was handing me his card and telling me to write him. A few days later a new 160gb apple tv was in my home!

I have to say that honestly I would never have purchased this thing before. However, not that I have one, I would say that if something happened to mine, I would buy a new one to replace it as fast as I could! Like you, I used "front row" with my macbook plugged in to my tv to watch stuff, but apple tv does it so much better. And forget needing a dvd drive, pick up a free copy of handbrake, and rip your movies and send them straight to itunes! Plus, it's great for watching tv shows. I mean, if you do the math, you don't really need cable/direct tv any more! Just pick out your favorite 4 or 5 shows and subscribe to them in iTunes. You'll spend a lot less time trying to "find" something to watch, and you'll save hundreds of dollars by the end of the year. In fact, for the price of direct tv with a DVR, you could instead subscribe to nearly 20 different shows if you absolutely wanted to.

However, I use mine more as a jukebox than anything else. I used to plug my ipod into my stereo, but now with apple tv, I have my entire 100+ GB music collection at the ready, and can listen to it through my stereo and see the album art on the tv. I always have music playing now.

Plus, when friends come over, I can grab the photos off of iPhoto and show them off really quickly as well, which is nice. My in-laws show up randomly, I can pull up the latest roll of their grandson and show him off without getting everyone to huddle around a computer.

So that's my attempted sales pitch for the apple tv! Happy hunting!

I have to say that honestly I would never have purchased this thing before. However, not that I have one, I would say that if something happened to mine, I would buy a new one to replace it as fast as I could! Like you, I used "front row" with my macbook plugged in to my tv to watch stuff, but apple tv does it so much better. And forget needing a dvd drive, pick up a free copy of handbrake, and rip your movies and send them straight to itunes! Plus, it's great for watching tv shows. I mean, if you do the math, you don't really need cable/direct tv any more! Just pick out your favorite 4 or 5 shows and subscribe to them in iTunes. You'll spend a lot less time trying to "find" something to watch, and you'll save hundreds of dollars by the end of the year. In fact, for the price of direct tv with a DVR, you could instead subscribe to nearly 20 different shows if you absolutely wanted to.

However, I use mine more as a jukebox than anything else. I used to plug my ipod into my stereo, but now with apple tv, I have my entire 100+ GB music collection at the ready, and can listen to it through my stereo and see the album art on the tv. I always have music playing now.

Plus, when friends come over, I can grab the photos off of iPhoto and show them off really quickly as well, which is nice. My in-laws show up randomly, I can pull up the latest roll of their grandson and show him off without getting everyone to huddle around a computer.

So that's my attempted sales pitch for the apple tv! Happy hunting!

I don't think I could sum it up better. That is pretty much how I use (and love) my Apple TV. All my music, photos, (a hand full of movies) and podcasts are up to date and synced. Just in case my iMac is on the fritz, I have all that content hooked up and ready. Though the real beauty is seemless streaming of anything in iTunes. Having my music on my 5.1 system ready to go is really handy and I listen to my music probably twice as much. I used to hook up my 5th gen iPod, but it's a better experience now.