Sign in to follow this  
afropete14

Will Apple cover me?

My hard drive on my MacBook failed yesterday and I did a little messing around with it and it looks like the hard drive is fried. I checked my warranty information on the internet and I will of had my MB for exactly a year tomorrow. I tried calling just barely but it is after hours so no one is there. My question is will Apple honor my warranty, or am I just out of luck? F.Y.I. I don't have AppleCare and my authorized dealers aren't open.

Edited by afropete14

My hard drive on my MacBook failed yesterday and I did a little messing around with it and it looks like the hard drive is fried. I checked my warranty information on the internet and I will of had my MB for exactly a year tomorrow. I tried calling just barely but it is after hours so no one is there. My question is will Apple honor my warranty, or am I just out of luck? F.Y.I. I don't have AppleCare and my authorized dealers aren't open.

I hope so, let us know.

well if you call on the last day it should be fine. this is close though.. eep. yes let us know.

Well my situtation is a perfect example of if you want something done right do it yourself. It is my brother's MB that crashed and my dad said he would call Apple the next day. The next day when I talked with him and I asked what had happened when he called he said that he was too busy today so he didn't call. Needless to say I was mad and I am now sitting next to a broken macbook that is out of warrenty. Which brings me to my new question.

Does any one know of any good deals on a new hard drive?

I just need a SATA 2.5" drive don't I, or is there something else particular I need?

Well my situtation is a perfect example of if you want something done right do it yourself. It is my brother's MB that crashed and my dad said he would call Apple the next day. The next day when I talked with him and I asked what had happened when he called he said that he was too busy today so he didn't call. Needless to say I was mad and I am now sitting next to a broken macbook that is out of warrenty. Which brings me to my new question.

Does any one know of any good deals on a new hard drive?

I just need a SATA 2.5" drive don't I, or is there something else particular I need?

Yah should of just taken care of it but such is life. You are correct that all you need is a 2.5" SATA drive. You could even take the opportunity to upgrade.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Just goes to show that you always should get applecare on a laptop. An extra couple of hundred quid is nothing when you consider that I spent the best part of two grand on my laptop...

Hope Apple will repair it for you.

iPod Movies To be a professional ipod movie makers with the help of iPod video converter.

It wouldn't have been covered. The warranty is for exactly 1 year meaning if you bought your machine on the first of January then the next first of January, what most people would consider exactly one year, then it's actually too late. The coverage runs out the day before the one year anniversary of your purchase. Luckily it was just a hard drive and not something more expensive like a logic board or display. This is why I'm a huge fan of the extended warranty. Most people won't have the machine for much longer than 3 years anyway, so that 3 year deal is well worth it. I had the topcase on my MacBook replaced and that alone would have cost more than the price of the extended Apple Care if it wasn't under warranty, most of the time this is the case and the extended warranty pays for itself after one repair.

-Tom

It actually didn't end up that bad. My father didn't feel to great about the whole thing so he took it to his work and the IT guy had just upgraded one of the company's laptops and had an extra hard drive so he gave it to us for free. Also he loaded parralells, final cut express, microsoft suite, and a couple good programs. That guys saved us hundreds of dollars in software alone. Although my brother didn't have a backup (I told him he would need one someday but he didn't listen) everything ended up good because he really didn't have much important on there.