Sign in to follow this  
Soft Gray

CDDB or Reverb Guys question

This is a follow up to Charlie aka Reverb Guy's :) question on the 8.3.05 maccast. I think I stumbled on this in an audio forum somewhere a couple years ago.

I dont know any of the specifics of how programs work with the CDDB but I believe that even if it is a home burned cd it still trys to check. If a program happens to match your cd to a cd in the database with a similar number of tracks, track lengths and total lengths it will consider that to be the cd and pull data.

When it happened to me I had burned a continuous mix on to a cd as one track that was 47:62 minutes or so. When I put the cd back in, itunes looked through the CDDB for a cd that had one track that was 47:62. It happened to find a comedy cd with that number of tracks and that specific track length so it showed up in itunes as some comedians album.

In your case it pulled the correct data for your album. I cant totally confirm this but it made sense at the time and satisfied my curiosity. :D

I find that really hard to imagine, actually... I would have to look into the inner workings of CDDB/freedb and the way the exchange between client and database server tries to identify CDs. For a homemade CD-from-tape I can imagine you would have to get the indiviual track lengths and the total album length right down to the sector, since there are probably thousands of albums that are 47:29, 62:51 or 13:10 long.

I use a program to re-label mp3s and their ID3-tags on my PC (Entagged Tag Editor it's java and very cool to use, check it out) and as far as I can tell it finds information based on the names of the original mp3s. But as Charlie said, he didn't give the individual tracks any significant name.

So yes, Charlie, I guess you are in the twilight zone! Or there has to be another explanation for this. Adam offered the suggestion Charlie might have named the CD accordingly before he burned it. Of course, all of this speculation relies upon the fact that Charlie had his Internet connection running at the time. If this was not the case, then this would really freak me out.

This is Charlie in Springfield. I did not name the disc when burning, and toast's default is "Untitled Disc" and I just left it at that since it was a one-off. This is (que music) da da da da,, twilight zone material. Where's Rod Searling? Maybe he knows.

I came across a discussion like this one once and I think it might have something to do with soundwaves. When you insert a CD into iTunes it checks the database and compares the first few seconds of each songs' soundwave. I've had similar experiences with homemade CDs and with live bootleg shows. How a live bootleg show ends up in CDDB I don't know. I don't know for a fact if what I'm saying is right, but it is a cool thing to not have to re-name each track.