Sign in to follow this  
davejacko

Small office setup, best solution?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone coyuld give me some advice, i am starting a small web/multimedia design business, all Mac based. To start we will have 4-5 users and hope to grow from there. Whats the best network soloution for us. We want to make it a wireless office if possible.

the functionality we will need:

- exchange files with each other wirelessly if possible.

- wireless internet connection

- nightly or weekly back up solotion (some files may be big)

If possible I don't want to spend a fourtune - would a AirPort Extreme Base Station hooked up to a large say 1 TB external UBS 2.0 drive using Super Duper work well or is wireless too slow for backup of big files?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone coyuld give me some advice, i am starting a small web/multimedia design business, all Mac based. To start we will have 4-5 users and hope to grow from there. Whats the best network soloution for us. We want to make it a wireless office if possible.

the functionality we will need:

- exchange files with each other wirelessly if possible.

- wireless internet connection

- nightly or weekly back up solotion (some files may be big)

If possible I don't want to spend a fourtune - would a AirPort Extreme Base Station hooked up to a large say 1 TB external UBS 2.0 drive using Super Duper work well or is wireless too slow for backup of big files?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave.

Wireless could work if you setup a completely 802.11n office. I would say that if all of your computers are running on an n network then you could have a system running the way you are proposing. However You need to have a second copy of your data. You should have the first terabyte mirror itself to an identical drive. Other than that everything sounds good.

SuperDuper doesn't really work with the airport. It can only use image files which aren't particularly reliable in my experience. I'd do for chronosync instead.