Sign in to follow this  
sublimaze1

Upgrading my hard drive

I plan to use super duper or cloner to buy a larger SATA drive and a firewire enclosure to clone my hard drive.

I then want to replace the 160 with the ___GB HD that I will buy.

Any suggestions or pitfalls you can think I need to avoid?

Can you do this with a USB2.0 enclosure (I have one sitting around the house) or do I need firewire?

I plan to buy 7200 rpm - do I need better? Can I get away with less?

Thanks

W J

I plan to use super duper or cloner to buy a larger SATA drive and a firewire enclosure to clone my hard drive.

I then want to replace the 160 with the ___GB HD that I will buy.

Any suggestions or pitfalls you can think I need to avoid?

Can you do this with a USB2.0 enclosure (I have one sitting around the house) or do I need firewire?

I plan to buy 7200 rpm - do I need better? Can I get away with less?

Thanks

W J

You need firewire. Intel macs can apparently boot from USB but G5's need firewire to be bootable. As far the replacement internal I believe that the Imac drives are 3.5" standard desktop drives so just get the biggest you can afford. As far as speed you don't need faster than 7200 and you probably don't even need 7200. There are certain types of apps that benefit greatly from a faster drive for everything else it's nice but not all that big a deal. What is it you primarily use your system for?

You need firewire. Intel macs can apparently boot from USB but G5's need firewire to be bootable. As far the replacement internal I believe that the Imac drives are 3.5" standard desktop drives so just get the biggest you can afford. As far as speed you don't need faster than 7200 and you probably don't even need 7200. There are certain types of apps that benefit greatly from a faster drive for everything else it's nice but not all that big a deal. What is it you primarily use your system for?

Purpose of my iMac is (in order of use)

- podcasting (creation)

- iDVD / iMovie (creating kids videos and such)

- web browsing

- e.mail

- excel files

- web based kids games (webkinz, club penguin) - for the girls.

As for the USB issue ......

... yes,I'm aware you cannot boot from the USB in the iMac G5, but can I use the enclosure to create the cloned bootable drive and then swap it in?

W J

Purpose of my iMac is (in order of use)

- podcasting (creation)

- iDVD / iMovie (creating kids videos and such)

- web browsing

- e.mail

- excel files

- web based kids games (webkinz, club penguin) - for the girls.

As for the USB issue ......

... yes,I'm aware you cannot boot from the USB in the iMac G5, but can I use the enclosure to create the cloned bootable drive and then swap it in?

W J

I don't think you really need the 7200 rpm. As for USB you might be able to do that but I wouldn't bother. It's not much price difference to get a firewire enclosure vs a USB enclosure. Just get the firewire.

I don't think you really need the 7200 rpm. As for USB you might be able to do that but I wouldn't bother. It's not much price difference to get a firewire enclosure vs a USB enclosure. Just get the firewire.

I guess what I am asking (USB versus Fire Wire) is:

- I have a USB enclosure lying around the house. $39 is $39, and if I 'have' to get the Fire Wire, so be it, but if the USB will work just fine, then I'd prefer just having to buy one less peripheral

I guess what I am asking (USB versus Fire Wire) is:

- I have a USB enclosure lying around the house. $39 is $39, and if I 'have' to get the Fire Wire, so be it, but if the USB will work just fine, then I'd prefer just having to buy one less peripheral

Well I have never tried to do what you are asking but I don't see why it wouldn't work and you could always try it. Worse case scenario you would just have to swap back to the original drive and get a firewire enclosure.