TheMacMommy

any way to lock the keyboard?

Does anyone know of a way to lock the entire keyboard on a MacBookPro? I was just curious if this feature existed. My little son is very curious and likes to play with my keyboard. I want to get a MacBookPro soon and I was thinking that it would be neat if once in a while I'd like to use it as a DVD player like say if we're on a plane together and it would be nice if I could just lock the keyboard so he couldn't mess anything up and I could still view the screen.

Tks in advance!

Does anyone know of a way to lock the entire keyboard on a MacBookPro? I was just curious if this feature existed. My little son is very curious and likes to play with my keyboard. I want to get a MacBookPro soon and I was thinking that it would be neat if once in a while I'd like to use it as a DVD player like say if we're on a plane together and it would be nice if I could just lock the keyboard so he couldn't mess anything up and I could still view the screen.

Tks in advance!

This may do the trick ...

http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/48-...rd-Cleaner.html

Tks in advance!

System Prefrences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Select "Turn Off Keyboard Access" - ^ F1

System Prefrences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Select "Turn Off Keyboard Access" - ^ F1

I tried this but I could still type with the keyboard if I clicked somewhere in a text box like the url field of a web browser.

It would be neat if someone would make some kind of plexiglass keyboard cover that just slid over the keyboard bottom half of the laptop. You know how toddlers are, once you let them have something they want desperately and they figure out it's no big deal, they lose interest in it and stop messing with it.

What that type of keyboard access is referring to is the ability to tab between certain GUI elements; when keyboard access is turned off it forces the use of the muse for most controls. The one holdout from my windows days is the need for me to able to tab between fields and select menus with the keyboard.

-Tom

I should have said to access the menu bar use control F2 and then either use arrow keys or simply start typing the name of the menu or menu item you wish to access to select it.

-Tom

Yes, there is a way to temporarily disable your keyboard. It's called Keyboard Cleaner and can be found by typing the name in VersionTracker. It's freeware. Here's the URL:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31521

Useful when you are away from you desk and you have kids or pets around. Also useful when you need to clean your laptop keys and don't want to turn off the machine.

Edited by AZCurt

Thanks for all the groovy suggestions guys. I tried out the keyboard cleaner and that's pretty neat-o. Have you guys actually watch the kitten on the MBP video? It's truly hilarious!

I tried the Fn F1 and F1 but that isn't doing what I need it to do unless I'm missing something.

I guess what I'm really after is something that would allow me to protect the keyboard while I'm interacting with the laptop so that when my toddler comes over to investigate, I could just lock the keys and let him bang on them until he loses interest and gets his fill and toddles off to do something else. The more I try to restrict him, the more adamant he is about messing with it. If I just let him investigate, he won't want it so badly and will eventually lose interest. I could use it as a teaching opportunity to show him the letters in the alphabet. Either way, I just don't want him messing up something I'm working on at that moment. I basically just hide from him now and then when hubby is around.

Perfect example would be when we are using the webcam to chat with Grammy and PopPop. They love being able to see him and he loves babbling at them, but it gets so difficult when he wants to start banging on the keys. I just wish I could either slide some kind of plastic cover over the bottom half or better yet, just lock the keyboard and trackpad with a quick key so that he can press buttons without disturbing any other apps. This would also come in handy for those long car rides so we could use it as a DVD player where he could watch a movie and not accidentally quit it by messing with the keyboard.

I'm trying to teach him to respect the computer and that there is a time and a place when he can use it like when I launch AlphaBaby for him or go to a kid website he can interact with, but ya know, he is only one and just doesn't yet grasp the concept of the word no.

I just wish there was some kind of toddler-proofing market of products out there to protect your expensive technology. I've tried a Speck See Thru cover, but it didn't work out too well. My Nano has teeth marks in it and they are not mine. LOL Yeah, that's going into a scrapbook someday when it's really obsolete.

Oh well, sigh, what's a geek mom to do? Someday I'll invent something I guess. (in my dreams which I don't have yet because I still don't yet get into REM sleep much ha ha ha)