Sign in to follow this  
rosskuwait

Camcorder/Firewire Impossibilities

Hi,

I have a Panasonic CCD digital camcorder. It only has a USB connection to connect to my Powerbook. As we all know, this makes it useless; the Mac will not recognise it.

I have been everywhere in the Middle East (including Alexandria) to places like radio Shack etc, and have been told I cant use firewire on this camera.

Do I just give up? I love this camcorder and its perfect in every other respect: it's CCD, its got great resolution etc, but I cant copy to Imovie etc.

Is there any solution? Something outside the box?

Trust me, there is no digital Mini DV outlet...only the USB.

HELP!!

PS: is it common American pronunciation to call NIKON with the "I" as in "Nike"? I cringe every time I hear Adam say "Nyekon" instead of "NIKON" with the "i" as in "nip" or "sit".

Does it mount as a drive in the finder? If you can get it to do that, then could you grab the .dv files manually?

You might be out of luck if iMovie will not recognize the camera (make sure you have it in playback mode). I don't really know why iMovie won't support USB cameras (besides the so-so quality and reliability, as Windows Movie Maker, as bad as it is, supports USB cameras).

By the way. People in the US almost always pronounce Nikon as "Nye-kon", I have never heard any one say it differently.