Sign in to follow this  
Macs Rule They're so cool

Have router imput device be wireless

Hello,

I have 2 router one is the airport 802.11 g and the other is a cheeper one. Is there any way to make the network source anything other than ethernet? My situation is that I have a router (the airport) broadcasting the wireless, the other is a the other end of my house in theory receiving it. I want to pull down the wireless from the airport and push it out again.

thanks in advance

The answer is a resounding maybe. If your second router supports a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) then it could likely work. WDS's sometimes aren't compatible between companies, but sometimes they are. If you post the model of your second router I could be of more help.

-Tom

The answer is a resounding maybe. If your second router supports a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) then it could likely work. WDS's sometimes aren't compatible between companies, but sometimes they are. If you post the model of your second router I could be of more help.

-Tom

Sorry about the delay

I don't know what the model number is it has rubbed off. It is linksys (not the WRT54G though)

thanks

P.S. this was weird, when I typed "model" a pop-up of a French model pop-up appeared (it wasn't from this site but another I had open) but that's ok i don't mind a pic of a French model in a dress any day ;)

Since you don't know the model this is as far as I can help you. If you go to Linksys.com and identify your router I'll download the manual and decipher it for you, but I'm not going to download all the manuals for all the models, I just don't have the time.

-Tom

Since you don't know the model this is as far as I can help you. If you go to Linksys.com and identify your router I'll download the manual and decipher it for you, but I'm not going to download all the manuals for all the models, I just don't have the time.

-Tom

OK I'll try to figure-out what the model number is.

Thanks for your time.

If you log into the routers admin screen it will usually have the model number on there. Just type in your routers IP address and then bash in your username and password.

If you log into the routers admin screen it will usually have the model number on there. Just type in your routers IP address and then bash in your username and password.

I didn't think of that, but you're right.

Your router's IP address can be found in your network preferences. Just look at whatever device is active and it should have an IP next to router, type it in. If you haven't changed you username and password, and it doesn't tell you what the defaults are try admin for either the username or the password or both, that usually works. Also leaving blank works sometimes.

-Tom