techmate

Buying an airport extreme. What card to get for my pc?

I have an intel imac and a windows xp system. I have never gone in the wireless zone before. Im going to do it now. Im going to purchase an airport extreme base station, I now my intel imac will connect. My pc doesnt have a card. Whats a good choice for me to go with for this. What am I looking for to be compatible with the airport extreme. Wireless networking is a new part of the world for me so Im a little lost here.

Any recommends I appreciate. Thanks.

I have an intel imac and a windows xp system. I have never gone in the wireless zone before. Im going to do it now. Im going to purchase an airport extreme base station, I now my intel imac will connect. My pc doesnt have a card. Whats a good choice for me to go with for this. What am I looking for to be compatible with the airport extreme. Wireless networking is a new part of the world for me so Im a little lost here.

Any recommends I appreciate. Thanks.

Well you would be just fine with an 802.11g card but since the airport extreme has 802.11n you might consider getting an 802.11n card. It all depends on what you want to do with the PC on the network. Just surfing the net get g if your are going to be moving lots of heavy files wirelessly to and from the PC then get an n card. Either way my favorite products are from Belkin. They are cheap, they work, and they have decent free 24/7 phone tech support.

Well you would be just fine with an 802.11g card but since the airport extreme has 802.11n you might consider getting an 802.11n card. It all depends on what you want to do with the PC on the network. Just surfing the net get g if your are going to be moving lots of heavy files wirelessly to and from the PC then get an n card. Either way my favorite products are from Belkin. They are cheap, they work, and they have decent free 24/7 phone tech support.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and purchased the Belkin N1 I think it will be a good pair up with the Airport extreme. Its only about $75 on amazon.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and purchased the Belkin N1 I think it will be a good pair up with the Airport extreme. Its only about $75 on amazon.

Looks good let us know how it works out.

Looks good let us know how it works out.

I got both products in the other day. The Airport extreme is great. The airport utility has got to be the easiest and cleanest interface for a router I have used. The only issue I was having with it is when using it for network printing my Canon Pixma MP500 prints really slow and pauses for about five seconds every couple of seconds while its printing. This makes it take a long time to print a single page. Im still trying to figure out why that is.

The Belkin N1 was very easy to set up on my pc and detected everything just fine. The built in software was easy to figure out. For some reason my pc doesnt play nice with it. After a few minutes of browsing the browser seems to hang regardless of what browser I use. Restarting the computer fixes it for a few minutes then it happens again. Not sure if this is a problem with my old pc or with the Belkin.

If anyone has any ideas on this I appreciate it.

Thanks.

I got both products in the other day. The Airport extreme is great. The airport utility has got to be the easiest and cleanest interface for a router I have used. The only issue I was having with it is when using it for network printing my Canon Pixma MP500 prints really slow and pauses for about five seconds every couple of seconds while its printing. This makes it take a long time to print a single page. Im still trying to figure out why that is.

The Belkin N1 was very easy to set up on my pc and detected everything just fine. The built in software was easy to figure out. For some reason my pc doesnt play nice with it. After a few minutes of browsing the browser seems to hang regardless of what browser I use. Restarting the computer fixes it for a few minutes then it happens again. Not sure if this is a problem with my old pc or with the Belkin.

If anyone has any ideas on this I appreciate it.

Thanks.

I would start by giving Belkin a call but personally I just wouldn't use the Belkin software. You should be able to get everything working just fine using no Belkin software.

I would start by giving Belkin a call but personally I just wouldn't use the Belkin software. You should be able to get everything working just fine using no Belkin software.

I just packed it back up and sending the Belkin back. I thought about it and really dont need wireless for the pc right now. I have a 50ft hardwire cable reaching it right now. The PC is getting old anyways. So Ill just hold off for a bit and wait until I really need a wireless second computer. Hopefully by that time Ill just have another mac.

I just packed it back up and sending the Belkin back. I thought about it and really dont need wireless for the pc right now. I have a 50ft hardwire cable reaching it right now. The PC is getting old anyways. So Ill just hold off for a bit and wait until I really need a wireless second computer. Hopefully by that time Ill just have another mac.

Well that's an interesting solution but it definitely works.