joshr

DRM Free Music Hits

The reason why iTunes puts your information in the itunes plus music, is because it is the only way to distinguish your purchased music from your normal music. iTunes uses this in the transfer purchases feature which works with your iPod. You could say that Apple could just phone home and ask the itunes servers about it, although the transfer purchases feature is for when you don't have a working internet connection to download your music.

The reason why iTunes puts your information in the itunes plus music, is because it is the only way to distinguish your purchased music from your normal music. iTunes uses this in the transfer purchases feature which works with your iPod.

Hmm, that would be an interesting experiment. If I were to hex-edit a copy of an AAC file I ripped from a CD so, that it contains the fields of a purchased song in the iTunes Store, would it then appear in my Purchased container in the iTunes application? Of course, I would need to buy a DRM-free song first, to see what Apple has done to the AAC file. That would cost me 1.30 euros (or around 1.75 USD) once.

The reason why iTunes puts your information in the itunes plus music, is because it is the only way to distinguish your purchased music from your normal music. iTunes uses this in the transfer purchases feature which works with your iPod. You could say that Apple could just phone home and ask the itunes servers about it, although the transfer purchases feature is for when you don't have a working internet connection to download your music.

I removed all my iTunes DRM files and converted them to MP3 (i.e. burn to CD and then re-import). Even though I have no iTunes DRM music in my library, iTunes still knows my purchase history. I'm not sure where that's held, probably either in my local database or on their Servers.

So, I don't really think they need the account details embedded in each file. I would guess it's a simple tracking precaution in case these files get shared.

Edited by Ginamos

The iTunes Plus songs are in your Purchase History, just fyi.

I'm going to talk just a little bit about this issue, but not here.

I'll get y'all a link when I get it up.

BJ