haivu

The .nib Versus .mp3 File Mystery

Today, I stumbled upon a mystery: I ran across a song that iTunes refuses to play, so I decided to investigate a little bit. To find the file containing the song, I ctrl+click on the file (or right-click) and selected “Show in Finder”. It turned out that the file referenced by the song has a .nib extention instead of .mp3. Fortunately, next to that .nib file is the .mp3 file, so I double-click the .mp3 to import it back into iTunes. Finally, I selected the unplayable song in iTunes and hit the “delete” key and chose “Move to Trash” to get rid of both the song and the .nib file.

After this incident, I poke around a found a dozen of .nib files within my library which I used the same method to manually correct the situation. I appreciate any explanation for insight into this problem. I am running iTunes on Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Very strange, these file types shouldn't have been in your music folder, I'm just wondering whether a 3rd party app or Applescript went awry and created them.

I did a quick Apple support search, this is the only thread that came up with anything, it shows you're not alone, but unfortunately doesn't really explain the cause.

For those who don't know, and care to know what NIB files are I thought I'd post this really quick. Be warned that this is a very quick explanation and if you're interested, you can search the internet and find out more. An NIB file is a proprietary binary format Apple uses to store user interface files for OS X applications. NIB stands for NeXT Interface Builder as much os OSX came from the NeXT OS, there are a ton of small pieces of NeXT still in the OS especially when coding for OS X.

I have no idea how they would get there and I would be interested to see what's in one of those files. I think I'm going to look in my own iTunes Library an see if I can discover anything.

-Tom