Sign in to follow this  
roogie

I'm feeling all psychedelic and stuff

I have always liked these oddball iMacs, now thanks to eBay I have one coming home to the museum (my wife calls my computer room that).

roog

flower1.jpg

flower2.jpg

cool find. Can you run tiger on that?

Wow I love those imacs, I wonder what specs it has?

Wow I love those imacs, I wonder what specs it has?

Specs are here.

I think that it will run Tiger although it's not officially supported by Apple from what I can tell.

roog

cool find. Can you run tiger on that?

You sure can, you just need to be a bit creative. You either need to pay Apple for the CD version of Tiger, get a DVD ROM drive for it, or make a bootable copy of the Tiger DVD on a FireWire drive. These machines came with 400, 500, or 600 MHz G3's and can take up to a gig of RAM. (Using 2 512 MB chips of PC100 168 pin SDRAM.) That's more than what Tiger needs. You may want to consider upgrading the HD since these machines could have as little as 10 GB, which is hardly enough for the OS and a few goodies. Anyway, have fun with your new computer.

-Tom

Those late model CRT iMacs are great, the "Flower Power" version is my favourite, you got a real bargain there, Roogie.

Agree Tom, max the RAM and upgrade the hard drive and you've got a machine with many years of productive life.

You guys probably already know it, but for those that don't, MacTracker is a great app for checking the specs of these old machines, it's also a good buyers guide for new stuff.

I've been considering getting an old iMac to store my audio files in iTunes and then connecting it to my stereo, kinda like a digital jukebox.

It's got a 40gb drive and only 128mb of RAM, so I will be upping the RAM for sure and I have an Airport card for it already.

roog