Sign in to follow this  
joshr

10.4.9 Problems after reinstall

So last night I decided to do a clean install of OSX on my macbook pro. So I cloned the drive then did an erase and install. Once I was back into OSX I did two things. I started the updates and I copied and pasted everything in users/user_name/library/application support/address book/. The address book thing was just supposed to get my address book data back and seemed to work aside from corrupting the fonts. After 10.4.9 had downloaded and installed I restarted and got only the blank desktop with the little spotlight icon in the top right. I did a hard restart and got the same thing. I booted off of the DVD and repaired permissions. Then booted again... same as before. Next I booted into safe mode, all was well, and installed maintenance. I ran all of the maintenance scripts and restarted... same thing. Having only one computer at home and not remembering how to boot into safe mode with networking I decided to take my computer to work today. Once at work I started by clearing the PRAM, no good, then I downloaded the combo update of 10.4.9 then moved it over to my laptop using target disk mode. I installed the combo update and got.... the same thing. So now I am out of ideas. I then tried booting into verbose mode as I thought it might hang and show me something I could post here. It didn't. It boots past verbose mode into the blank desktop with the spotlight icon showing. What should I do next?

EDIT: I just checked right now and my address book font thing is fixed. I assume that was from using maintenance. However since I first reloaded my computer I have never been able to use the built in isight. During the ichat setup it said my camera was in use and I just tried it again right now while in safe mode with nothing running. Photobooth would not start. It gives an error that the camera is in use by another application.

Edited by joshr

I had the same iSight issue and it went away after a restart, which you don't seem to be able to do. What I would do here is just erase and install again. When it comes time to move your addresses use Backup Address Book.. from one of the menus instead of the copy and paste method you tried. The reason I'd never copy and paste is because of the way permissions work. They are associated with a user id number, not a name. So if when you reinstall it probably won't recognize that you still have permissions to those files. Repair permissions won't work in this situation either since it does not repair all permissions, it only repairs permissions of certain files that is is set to know the proper permissions of.

-Tom

I am reinstalling now. To bad I accidentally pushed continue without setting the custom install settings I wanted so now I will have to reinstall twice.

EDIT: On the subject of reimporting certain settings there are a few OSX apps that I need to get the data back into off of my backup. Address Book, Itunes, Ical... I think thats it. What's the procedure for doing that with these programs. I had planned to just copy and paste the relevant data as I had done with Address Book but if I should do it differently let me know. Also Adobe Lightroom I need to move back also but perhaps since thats not integrated into the shell I can just copy and paste?

EDIT2: I finished reinstalling then installed the 10.4.9 combo update and all seems fine now. I will have to install further updates at home tonight so if by then someone tells me the best way to reimport itunes and ical then that would be wonderful.

Edited by joshr

The easiest way to do that would have been to export things before you nuked your drive. However, now I'd suggest writing your backup to an external dive and make it bootable. Boot from the drive and export things. If that's not an option, it's terminal time. (Unless someone can come up with a better way.) Copy whatever folder contains your stuff and copy it to a dummy folder on your Hard Drive somewhere, for the time being, I'd make that folder something easy to type and put it right in the root of your drive for ease of terminal stuff. Type the following into the terminal

sudo chown -R user-name /path to folder

Making sure that user name is exact, or it won't work. Also, since you are using sudo be very careful as to type the path in correctly, the easiest way to do this is to right after the user name drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window and let your computer type in the path for you. Doing this on the root directory (/) could have some very bad results. Now you are allowed to read and write all of the files, and this should work.

I'm going at this issue totally on theory and am not sure it will work. If used correctly it won't harm anything, so even if it doesn't work no harm done. I welcome any suggestions by someone who has actually done this.

-Tom

The easiest way to do that would have been to export things before you nuked your drive. However, now I'd suggest writing your backup to an external dive and make it bootable. Boot from the drive and export things. If that's not an option, it's terminal time. (Unless someone can come up with a better way.) Copy whatever folder contains your stuff and copy it to a dummy folder on your Hard Drive somewhere, for the time being, I'd make that folder something easy to type and put it right in the root of your drive for ease of terminal stuff. Type the following into the terminal

sudo chown -R user-name /path to folder

Making sure that user name is exact, or it won't work. Also, since you are using sudo be very careful as to type the path in correctly, the easiest way to do this is to right after the user name drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window and let your computer type in the path for you. Doing this on the root directory (/) could have some very bad results. Now you are allowed to read and write all of the files, and this should work.

I'm going at this issue totally on theory and am not sure it will work. If used correctly it won't harm anything, so even if it doesn't work no harm done. I welcome any suggestions by someone who has actually done this.

-Tom

I have a bootable backup. I did do that prior to nuking the drive using superduper. So now with that I just need to boot from it and do an export to the main hard drive of ical and address book, what about itunes? Can I just copy and paste my library?

Is there any reason not to use Migration Assistant?

The reason I didn't use migration assistant is because I really want a clean install. I wanted to choose a custom install of OSX and really pare down what it installs then I want to reinstall or migrate only the data I need. I have had the computer about a year and half and it has never been reloaded. It was really slowing down and I had some strange finder issues I couldn't fix as well as a CS3 issue. So I nuked everything and I am really thinking about what I reload.

I think you can just copy and paste your iTunes, you may need to give yourself write permissions write permissions to the library XML, but that can be done in the get info window. In fact, you could just give yourself read/write permissions and make yourself the owner to all of the files and then click the apply to enclosed items button right in the get info window. I didn't think of that earlier when I had you go to the terminal. Anyway, good luck I hope this all works out for you.

-Tom

I think you can just copy and paste your iTunes, you may need to give yourself write permissions write permissions to the library XML, but that can be done in the get info window. In fact, you could just give yourself read/write permissions and make yourself the owner to all of the files and then click the apply to enclosed items button right in the get info window. I didn't think of that earlier when I had you go to the terminal. Anyway, good luck I hope this all works out for you.

-Tom

It was an easy export of address book and ical. I did just copy and paste the whole itunes folder after giving full rights to the main folder and everything in it. No problem now I am on the road to installing everything else. I really wish osx would respect the finder preference of open all new windows in column view but I guess no amount of clean installs fixes that.

It was an easy export of address book and ical. I did just copy and paste the whole itunes folder after giving full rights to the main folder and everything in it. No problem now I am on the road to installing everything else. I really wish osx would respect the finder preference of open all new windows in column view but I guess no amount of clean installs fixes that.

So after I posted this I continued to install stuff and while I was installing lightroom it hung. I did eventually get it loaded but then I restarted and now I am back to the same place I was before. I can restart in safe mode no problem but everything else gives me only the spotlight icon in the tope right. I even tried an archive and install and that didn't fix it. Any ideas what I can do? I did copy and paste a bunch of fonts into my users/library/fonts folder would that also cause permissions problems?

EDIT: Another reload and although I have not been able to do all of the updates I did so 10.4.9 and itunes and then installed camino and lightroom and moved all of the previous data and so far all is well.

Edited by joshr