tom203

Remote access

Is there a way in which i can use my mac to remotely access and control a windows computer? as some relatives need help who arae too far away to travel.

Thanks

Tom

Is there a way in which i can use my mac to remotely access and control a windows computer? as some relatives need help who arae too far away to travel.

Thanks

Tom

I had this bookmarked for just that use. However I did recently see a post on the forum mentioning an easier way so there might be something easier out there. http://www.lifehacker.com/software/feature...here-125607.php

i have personally used this to connect to my pc. it only works if the pc is running xp pro, does not work on home. i do not know about vista.

1. install hamachi onto the pc.

2. install hamachi onto the mac.

3. download remote desktop connection on the mac.

4. run hamachi in both and create a channel for you to use.

5. open rdc and enter the pcs hamachi ip address and click connect

6. connected.

Edited by sttrek341

Some extra things to note about remote desktop.

1. make sure that their firewall on their computer is not set to block remote desktop, (port 3389)

2. the vista versions that have remote desktop are home premium, business and ultimate.

3. To turn on remote desktop on an XP Pro machine, Right click My Computer, click on properties, go to the Remote tab and check the box that says "allow others to remotely connect to this computer" or something like that (second check box) or use RDPRemote enabler to turn it on for them once you get hamachi going (requires login for an account with admin privileges on their computer.) * oh, and its a windows app, not sure of one for Mac that does the same thing.

4. The user account your using to log into their machine with must have a password (although there is a workaround for password free logins if its really necessary to not have a password)

5. The user must be an administrator level account unless you click on "Select remote users" in the remote tab and add their username (or add them to the Remote Desktop users group.

Edited by ithonicfury

If they have one of the following Windows systems then I'd use Microsoft's remote desktop client for Mac. It's much more fully featured than any other solution I've found. However it only works on these versions of Windows:

* Windows XP Professional

* Windows Server 2003

* Windows 2000 Server

* Windows 2000 Advanced Server

* Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

* Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

-Tom

Edited by almighty_spork