TacoOrtega09

Good program for ripping DVDs to mac

Hey,

I'm trying to find a good program for ripping a DVD collection to my Mac. I've tried using Mac the Ripper (Which I found out doesn't make the movies playable via computer) and Handbrake and Instant Handbrake which get to 100% and stay there. The computer goes to sleep and everything. The resulting MPEG movie is unplayable by quicktime.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Depending on your setup Handbrake will sit a while at 100% and not appear to be doing anything. I experienced this issue often on my PowerBook G4. Eventually though the ripping would complete. I would set your computer not to go to sleep and see if that helps any!

...I've tried using Mac the Ripper (Which I found out doesn't make the movies playable via computer)...

Possibly I'm misunderstanding you, but you can play movies by opening the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard disk in either DVD Player, VLC and other apps.

Ive had that problem with Handbrake too, but for me its not that often that it will hang at 100%, and when it gets there its a 50/50 shot as to whether the movie will be playable, maybe try updating to the latest if you have an older one, or going back to an older one or Mediafork if you have the latest version.

For alternatives:

You can try using Visualhub (pay) or iSquint (free, but many many fewer features.) They need to be used only on unprotected DVDs or Video_TS folders (as those output by Mac-The-Ripper.) Im not a big fan of the interface, especially when you want to start customizing settings. I also havent quite figured out how to use subtitles with them (although that could very well be my own stupidity)

Theres also D-Vision 3 (free i beleive, does a good job at ripping problem DVDs, Ive had it rip very scratched DVDs successfully that Handbrake would fail at constantly and even DVD Player.app would choke on, but the interface is meh and it can be flakyish).

yea after doing some research I found out that VLC can play the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO folders.

Also, I downloaded D-Vision 3 and it works really well too.

Thanks!

If storage is an issue you may not want to keep all the VIDEO_TS folders around since they are usually around 5 gigs or so. Sometimes I've found that using something like Mac The Ripper to get the VIDEO_TS folder and then using Handbrake can resolve some Handbrake issues. Just some thoughts.

-Tom