Sign in to follow this  
cooperrose

Radar detector

I know of a good one, it's called Drive Slower. It's great, not only does it keep you from getting tickets but it keeps you from killing yourself and others. I know too many people who've been hurt or killed by people who were driving too fast, so just slow down. Save gas, save lives, slow down.

-Tom

I know of a good one, it's called Drive Slower. It's great, not only does it keep you from getting tickets but it keeps you from killing yourself and others. I know too many people who've been hurt or killed by people who were driving too fast, so just slow down. Save gas, save lives, slow down.

-Tom

With over 1,000,000 safe driving miles I would tend to agree with that answer (albeit combative). However I've also seen many, many drivers over-react by slowing down quickly and change lanes inappropriately when they see police officers. A radar detector can be a great tool to warn a driver who is obeying the speed limit when other drivers may be acting erratically.

And you get more flies with honey.

roog

With over 1,000,000 safe driving miles I would tend to agree with that answer (albeit combative). However I've also seen many, many drivers over-react by slowing down quickly and change lanes inappropriately when they see police officers. A radar detector can be a great tool to warn a driver who is obeying the speed limit when other drivers may be acting erratically.

And you get more flies with honey.

roog

Sorry I over reacted, but I just had a friend be critically injured by someone who was speeding on a back road late at night. He's OK, but we weren't sure for a while. Usually I'm a pretty nice person.

I used to actually use one of these things when I was younger and much more careless. I found that the $30 ones that you can pick up at a local big box store work just as well as the ones that cost hundreds of dollars. What you want to look for are the abilities to detect as many types of RADAR as possible. Also make sure that they have 360º detection so you will be sure to get that cop who hides quite far off of the road or is trying to zap you as you pass rather than as you approach. I'd warn you also that now may RADARs are off and give out no detectable signal until the officer hits a button, so you can get nailed anyway. Most detecters emit a very loud and intense warning when this type is detected, but by then it might be too late. Also, make sure they are legal in your area. Once you get the thing make sure that it is mounted correctly as some are meant to be mounted at the bottom of the windshield and some at the top, for max effectiveness follow the directions on that. I hope this all helps.

I still want to stress that you should slow down. I feel that I could drive safely at 85 MPH or higher, but since I cannot predict what everyone else will do the extra reaction time of driving slower is much more about defense. Just don't do anything stupid, if you hurt yourself that's one thing, but if you hurt someone else, that's something you're going to have to live with on your conscious forever. Driving is a privilege, not a right, so treat it that way and please drive safely.

-Tom

-Tom

I like that lol

You cant slow down if you are racing. I know that most of you will think that is the stupidest thing in the world but I have always wanted to street race.

You cant slow down if you are racing. I know that most of you will think that is the stupidest thing in the world but I have always wanted to street race.

Do you watch a lot of films?

just go to a local racetrack.

Oh my f***ing god! What the hell is wrong with you? I had some close friends die doing just that. Please tell me where you live so I can come beat the stupid out of you! I'm serious. Do not race on public roads. Once you know someone who has died you will realize how dumb you are.

-Tom

Edited by almighty_spork

Oh my f***ing god! What the hell is wrong with you? I had some close friends die doing just that. Please tell me where you live so I can come beat the stupid out of you! I'm serious. Do not race on public roads. Once you know someone who has died you will realize how dumb you are.

-Tom

I do know I have had some close friends die

I remember taking my driving test all those years ago and this has piece of advice has stayed with me ever since, "anybody can drive at speed, dead bodies wish they hadn't."

The best fun I ever had on a day out was a Track day I got as a gift from my partner, I drove real sports cars on professional instruction in a safe environment. You want to race cars? then instead of looking like a fool do it properly and stay alive :-)

I do know I have had some close friends die

Then maybe you're just stupid. Do what Zion said and find a safer outlet for this. I'm not so excited that you're taking your own life into your hands, but because you're willing to do this in public with the potential to kill other people. Please stop this. This is absolutely insane.

I remember taking my driving test all those years ago and this has piece of advice has stayed with me ever since, "anybody can drive at speed, dead bodies wish they hadn't."

The best fun I ever had on a day out was a Track day I got as a gift from my partner, I drove real sports cars on professional instruction in a safe environment. You want to race cars? then instead of looking like a fool do it properly and stay alive :-)

Gocart racing is another less expensive way to race. Great fun and it will really teach the fundamentals of racing.

Gocart racing is another less expensive way to race. Great fun and it will really teach the fundamentals of racing.

But your limited to where you can drive to, and the speeds are limited also.

But your limited to where you can drive to, and the speeds are limited also.

Well it is true that you can't go to the store in a gocart but since you generally go to a gocart track in order to drive a gocart I think that issue is moot. As far as speeds trust me when I say 50-80 mph or even 30-50 mph if you are in slower carts is plenty fast enough when you are a few inches from the pavement.

Would you rather die or go slower? I dont think that you realize how ignorant and idiotic you sound

Would you rather die or go slower? I dont think that you realize how ignorant and idiotic you sound

I dont really care how you guiz think I sound but I would rather have fun racing then going slow and if I die then I will die doing what I wanted

I dont really care how you guiz think I sound but I would rather have fun racing then going slow and if I die then I will die doing what I wanted

Great, get a motorcycle. It's faster than any car you will be able to afford plus the chances you will hurt anyone other than yourself are much lower. Us "guiz" are not nearly as concerned about you killing yourself as we are about you killing someone else.

Great, get a motorcycle. It's faster than any car you will be able to afford plus the chances you will hurt anyone other than yourself are much lower. Us "guiz" are not nearly as concerned about you killing yourself as we are about you killing someone else.

I already have a bike and they suck they are alot harder to controll at high speeds and cars arent. The car I have would probably kill me just as fast as a bike, its a 73 so it doesnt have airbags or seatbelts.

I already have a bike and they suck they are alot harder to controll at high speeds and cars arent. The car I have would probably kill me just as fast as a bike, its a 73 so it doesnt have airbags or seatbelts.

Federal laws have required seat belt installation in the US since 1965.

roog

Federal laws have required seat belt installation in the US since 1965.

roog

I know I am putting 6 point racing belts

I can only hope then WHEN you kill yourself you don't take anyone else with you when or before you die.

-Tom

i once received some sage-like words of wisdom from an old medicine man along the banks of the amazon, and it goes as thus:

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics. You may get the gold medal, but you're still retarded.

I can only hope then WHEN you kill yourself you don't take anyone else with you when or before you die.

-Tom

Me to

Interesting, in my bike experience triple digit speeds were never a problem and they came much faster and with way more fun then any car I have ever owned. I did find canyons much more difficult because of the ease of locking the rear brake but that came with time. What kind of bike do you have? As far as the car I very much doubt that it would kill you just as fast as the bike but either way it's certainly more likely to kill someone else as well. What kind of car is it though? What have you done to it? Maybe the bike could use a steering damper?