joshr

Update to Camino

For those of you who use Camino there is finally an update. It is based off of Firefox 2.0 now so if you want those feature, such as inline spell checker, you no longer have to download the latest nightly builds. It's great news for those who use it.

Thank god! Thanks for the update, I'm going to go download it right now.

-Tom

No offence to anyone but mozilla is really starting to suck (especially firefox). A built in spell checker! Why? I mean what would you be typing in a web browser of such a level that the spelling needed to be correct.

In my opinion if you looking for a free alternative to safari then it has to be opera, it has crap loads of feaures and it is "heavy" like mozilla's stuff is.

Again no offence to anyone, just trying to make a point that although there is an update it really isn't great.

(Please don't hurt me! Remember opinions are aren't facts)

Forum posts, blog comments, anything else you type in a web browser to share to other people in a futile attempt to try and help people not look like idiots. People dont use spell checkers when they have to push a button, for some reason its just too much to expect. Having it underline whats spelled wrong will help eyesore posts that are frustrating and annoying.

As for Opera, its pretty darn bloated, many of its features are annoying or useless, and the interface is horrid. I tried to use Opera before, and every so often Ill try again "if i can just make it through one day with only using opera, i might like it better." I cant get through a day of using it. (not to say its bad, its coded pretty well, and its pretty solid, I just really really hate it.)

As for the update to Camino, It seems to have taken a step back reliability wise from the last nightly I had (not sure from when, 2 weeks maybe) Ive had more beach balls using it for 2 days then the 2 weeks or so Ive been using the nightly, and it seems alil slower (still not as beachbally and sluggish as Safari is for me though)

*Slowness may have been caused by spotlight, added some constantly changing folders to privacy and it seems to have settled down, no beach balls yet.

Edited by ithonicfury

No offence to anyone but mozilla is really starting to suck (especially firefox). A built in spell checker! Why? I mean what would you be typing in a web browser of such a level that the spelling needed to be correct.

In my opinion if you looking for a free alternative to safari then it has to be opera, it has crap loads of feaures and it is "heavy" like mozilla's stuff is.

Again no offence to anyone, just trying to make a point that although there is an update it really isn't great.

(Please don't hurt me! Remember opinions are aren't facts)

Obviously you are an excellent example of someone who could benefit from the inline spell checker. "Offence" is actually spelled offense and "feaures" should be features. I have to admit I am getting a little bit bored by the UI of the mozilla stuff as it hasn't changed much in a long time. Thats just a "the grass is always greener" thing though. I have been seeing the same thing for a while so even though it's great I would like a change. As for Opera I have to agree with ithonicfury although I recognize it's a great product I have just never been able to get on board with it. I turned a PC using friend onto it and he loved it so much he enlisted my ongoing help to try and actually get all of the common plugins and the ESPN site to work right with it, I never could. I have been using a web browser for around 12 years and so at this point I have a hard time switching to a radically different UI. I find Opera to different for me.

I have been using the updated camino since yesterday when I found it and I have not seen any change in performance between it and the nightly build I was using.

i love the new camino. i might actually finally replace firefox (i'v been using since version .07). my main complaints are with the keyboard shortcuts, who came up with these things?? i've gotten around to changing the switch tab from command option left arrow, right arrow to command ; and command '. getting the cursor to the search box, forget it. command l and tab is your best hope. and the / for search: stops after you hit the space bar. gah! even with those minor complaints i really love the new version.

Edited by spark rain fire

this post should be deleted.

Edited by spark rain fire

I am british so i am spelling offence correct, i mean i'm technically on an american website but thw worldwidewebs etc.

Why one doesn'y need a spell checker: You don't need a spell correct in "Forum posts, blog comments, anything else you type in a web browser to share to other people" because they are people not computers and they will understand what you are trying to write (generally) becuase of the context (see the "becuase").

I have to agree with johr

"I have to admit I am getting a little bit bored by the UI of the mozilla stuff as it hasn't changed much in a long time."

Thats why the microsoft offic eupdate is significant - they had too few menus and too many options so it was hard to find stuff. Also yeah the difference is minimal between browsers but given the choice - safari and opera.

I think mozilla stuff is bloated, other opera is bloted whatever

sorry to hit a sore spot.

I've been using the "Bon Echo" optimized Firefox builds available here, they're a lot less sluggish than the normal Firefox builds, also with the "aqua form widgets" versions they look a lot more OS X like.

Edited by Ginamos

I am british so i am spelling offence correct, i mean i'm technically on an american website but thw worldwidewebs etc.

Why one doesn'y need a spell checker: You don't need a spell correct in "Forum posts, blog comments, anything else you type in a web browser to share to other people" because they are people not computers and they will understand what you are trying to write (generally) becuase of the context (see the "becuase").

I have to agree with johr

"I have to admit I am getting a little bit bored by the UI of the mozilla stuff as it hasn't changed much in a long time."

Thats why the microsoft offic eupdate is significant - they had too few menus and too many options so it was hard to find stuff. Also yeah the difference is minimal between browsers but given the choice - safari and opera.

I think mozilla stuff is bloated, other opera is bloted whatever

sorry to hit a sore spot.

Fair enough offence is correct. My spell checker doesn't think so though :). Spell checking for forums is one of those things where when you are posting a harsh post correcting someone about something you better have damn perfect spelling otherwise you look like a retard.

EDIT: When I made the above statement I wasn't referring to powerpc. I was actually referring to why I think the inline spell checker is so important. I just reread my post after powerpc posted below and I realized it sounded like I was calling him a retard. I wasn't. I swear, I was just saying why I think it's so important.

Edited by joshr

Ok i feel this topic has got a bit heated so I apologise for maybe sounding like was was slagging off mozilla, camino, firefox etc.

Sorry

I am a Safari, Firefox, and Camino user. I just switch because there are certain sites that run better on each app. Anyway, I'm having issues with the new 1.5 release of Camino. Its lighting fast, but some glitches. Check out the iPhone ads on Apples site. When you get to the four ad selection screen let me know if you have problems... Also surf the Apple Outlet section as well...

I can't wait for Firefox 3, and seeing Safari on the iPhone! =D

If you mean the previews arent there, if you turn off adblocking (Perferences > Web Features, uncheck block web advertisements) then you can see the pictures just fine. Its kinda Caminos fault for over zealous adblocking, but also apples fault for putting the images in a place that has /ads/ in the url.

I can't wait for Firefox 3, and seeing Safari on the iPhone! =D

Speaking of firefox 3 isn't odd that the update to camino is 1.5 and not 2? Does that mean they have something in the works for version 2?

Edited by joshr

So is the camino update pretty buggy or nearly as reliable as the last version? It's become my favorite browser but I'm wondering if I should wait to upgrade.

So is the camino update pretty buggy or nearly as reliable as the last version? It's become my favorite browser but I'm wondering if I should wait to upgrade.

It's been rock solid for me, as have all of the various nightly builds I previously used.

i have the same experience as Joshr and im thrilled to see the great performance the long awaited update (slightly dramatised :P )!

but i am also pleased with Shiira - another good browser!

Edited by Mac-User

I'm a big Camino user too. Love the light weight and speed of the 1.0.4 version. I had an issue with the 1.5 version though. Upon install, 1.5 would not launch. I went and did some research and found that if you had the CaminoSession plugin installed, it can cause this to happen. The new version of Camino now does most of what CaminoSession did anyway and I found directions on how to remove it.

Issue number 2: If you are using a version of 1Passwd prior to 2.4.2, Camino 1.5 may not launch as well. Just some things to keep in mind.

I tried Shiira a few weeks ago and even posted on here saying how great it was but having used it for a few days after I found that it crashed and crashed some more, not sure if they have fixed the bugs but this is graphically one stunning browser and could be a real contender.

Im probably a lazy person when it comes to browsers but because Safari is installed and ready to go out of the box I have tended to stick with it, am I missing anything?

Well i am not exaclty sure why Shiira crashed for you.. although when i opened it using Rosetta i found that this happened more often.

So was it being opened using Rosetta when you were using it?

if so then try it again with the box unchecked and use the shockwave stuff on Safari.

Well i am not exaclty sure why Shiira crashed for you.. although when i opened it using Rosetta i found that this happened more often.

So was it being opened using Rosetta when you were using it?

if so then try it again with the box unchecked and use the shockwave stuff on Safari.

Its the latest version, well it was about a month ago when I downloaded and installed it. Whats the deal with shockwave? do they not have a plugin? this is very odd and my son would freak ;-)

no... adobe have been lazy in updating shockwave for mac ever since the Intel Tiger was released. Thats why you need to open browsers up using Rosetta:

right click on app>get info>check the "open with rosetta" box

however.. this significantly slows down the opening time of the browser or any other app for that matter.

i surprised you didnt know this.. its over a year now!?

no... adobe have been lazy in updating shockwave for mac ever since the Intel Tiger was released. Thats why you need to open browsers up using Rosetta:

right click on app>get info>check the "open with rosetta" box

however.. this significantly slows down the opening time of the browser or any other app for that matter.

i surprised you didnt know this.. its over a year now!?

Yes I was aware of the "open with Rosetta" and the degradation in performance but this box has never been checked and has never caused any issues with me or my son using Safari? I don't personally play online games so perhaps the games my son plays are not using shockwave.....Runescape etc.

I do listen to BBC radio over the internet and for this Real Player is needed, this seems massive and invasive for what I need it for.

Anywho I have downloaded a copy of Camino and all seems good and will try Shiira again once I have done my iMacs clean install.

The new version of Camino has much better ad-blocking which is great news. Also, it allows you to move around your menu icons. I never liked having my bookmarks icon to the right of the url windows. Now I have it to the left which is fine with me.