Bennimon

Two Displays / Full Screen Question

I have a dual-display setup using my Macbook and a Dell Monitor connected with an Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter. I was wondering how to setup one screen to watch a DVD (or any movie file) in full screen mode while doing work on the other screen. One click of the mouse while watching anything (in full screen) on the other screen will cause the movie window to shrink. I also wish I could do the same thing while watching an iTunes Visualiser in full screen on one display while working on the other. Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.

My Setup:

Macbook (2 GHz Intel Core Duo)

Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP Monitor

Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter

...using Quicktime & DVD Player to watch movies

I have a dual-display setup using my Macbook and a Dell Monitor connected with an Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter. I was wondering how to setup one screen to watch a DVD (or any movie file) in full screen mode while doing work on the other screen. One click of the mouse while watching anything (in full screen) on the other screen will cause the movie window to shrink. I also wish I could do the same thing while watching an iTunes Visualiser in full screen on one display while working on the other. Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.

My Setup:

Macbook (2 GHz Intel Core Duo)

Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP Monitor

Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter

...using Quicktime & DVD Player to watch movies

Here is a quote from a thread on Mac OS X Hints that addresses your question. I haven't tried it, FWIW:

In previous incarnations of the Apple DVD Player, if you used two monitors in extended desktop mode, and wanted to use your second monitor to display the video, you had to switch it to the primary monitor (by dragging the menu bar to it in the Montiors preference panel).

In Panther's version of the DVD player (4.0), this is no longer necessary, as you can just drag the window to the other monitor. Nifty! Also, you can set it to remain in full screen on one monitor as you work in a different app on the other one. The preference for this is under "Full Screen" and is called "Remain in full screen when DVD Player is inactive." Fun stuff.

It may also be worth noting that the fastest scan mode has been increased (to 32x).

Here is a quote from a thread on Mac OS X Hints that addresses your question. I haven't tried it, FWIW:

In previous incarnations of the Apple DVD Player, if you used two monitors in extended desktop mode, and wanted to use your second monitor to display the video, you had to switch it to the primary monitor (by dragging the menu bar to it in the Montiors preference panel).

In Panther's version of the DVD player (4.0), this is no longer necessary, as you can just drag the window to the other monitor. Nifty! Also, you can set it to remain in full screen on one monitor as you work in a different app on the other one. The preference for this is under "Full Screen" and is called "Remain in full screen when DVD Player is inactive." Fun stuff.

It may also be worth noting that the fastest scan mode has been increased (to 32x).

I am glad you posted this. The original post puzzled me as I was sure I had just done it before with no issues. Now I know why. Sounds like the original poster needs to upgrade the OS. Might as well wait another few months for leopard though.

I am glad you posted this. The original post puzzled me as I was sure I had just done it before with no issues. Now I know why. Sounds like the original poster needs to upgrade the OS. Might as well wait another few months for leopard though.

if the original poster has a macbook, then he does have the most recent OS. i think everyone is confuzed. here is the answer: there is an option in the dvd player preferences for what you want to do. and for the itunes visualizer (and front row for that matter), i have no clue how to not black out the second window.

I have tried many things and I can't seem to find a way to make iTunes visualize on the second monitor without blanking out the rest.