Sign in to follow this  
tomski

What gadgets would you buy if you had $500 to spend

Hi,

I am traveling to New York next week and I have some 3 hours for gadget shopping for a total of $500.

With a Euro to Dollar echange rate of 1.35 it is a favourable shopping opportunity for me. I am thinking of getting a new digital camera for say $300 max. But this is not a must!

What would you advise be to buy?

My ideas so far are:

PodXtreme Sound Box

Kingston's microSD Card Reader

Regards,

tomski

on an iMac G5 20"

iPod Video incl. doc

MyBook 500 GB

Hi,

I am traveling to New York next week and I have some 3 hours for gadget shopping for a total of $500.

With a Euro to Dollar echange rate of 1.35 it is a favourable shopping opportunity for me. I am thinking of getting a new digital camera for say $300 max. But this is not a must!

What would you advise be to buy?

My ideas so far are:

PodXtreme Sound Box

Kingston's microSD Card Reader

Regards,

tomski

on an iMac G5 20"

iPod Video incl. doc

MyBook 500 GB

I would spend it all on a digital camera. A card reader can be had for around $10 from lots of places so in my opinion it's not worth buying while in the states. The podextreme looks cheap and is also very inexpensive so again I don't think that is really worth it. On the other hand $300 for a digital camera can certainly be done but a nice digital camera could easily cost you more especially if you get a nice bag to go with it. You might also think about a 2.5" firewire external hard drive since it is very useful and won't require a power adapter which will make it easier to use wherever you may be in the EU. With a camera and an external drive you will have spent your budget plus.

If you can raise your budget a bit I'd buy a Leica D-Lux 3 digital camera at B&H Photo.

http://tinyurl.com/2wyehg

Yes that is the camera to buy, I only didn't mention it because of the price.

Yes that is the camera to buy, I only didn't mention it because of the price.

According to my wife I'm an expert at over spending. Hence the reason I mentioned it, I guess. :•)

Tell you what, I bought that camera a month ago (after our exchange on another thread) and it's the dope. Best compact digital camera on the market, IMHO.

Thank you for your suggestions. I heared that this Leika is actually similar to a Panasonic. Hmmm... The price here is 599 Euro. So that would make her quite a lot of cheaper.

You may be thinking of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1K. They do have many similarities and shared tech but they're different camers. Beginning with 8MP vs. 10MP. Both are great cameras.