JERRY

THE AUDIO RESOLUTION / BIT RATE FOR G4 PB

I HAVE A 1 GIG G4 POWER BOOK AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE AUDIO IS 16 BIT OR LESS OR MORE. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF USING AN AUDIO INTERFACE AND AN UPGRADED MICROPHONE WOULD GET A BETTER OUTPUT FOR PODCASTING. I USE A USB BLUE SNOWBALL PRESENTLY AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING WELL AND AM WONDERING WHAT IF ANY IMPROVEMENT WOULD BE ACHIEVED WITH A FIREWIRE PREAMP AND A BETTER MIC. AS IN BOOSTING THE RESOLUTION TO 24 BIT. ANY GUIDANCE WOULD BE WELCOMED.

THANKS

First suggestion, turn off the caps lock. If you can't resist, pry the thing off of your keyboard. It's painful to read in all caps.

I'm going to need to know more about your machine to say for sure, but as far as 1 GHz (I'm assuming that you meant processor speed and not RAM with "1 gig", but I'm not sure). It looks like the only 1 GHz model that came with 24 bit audio was the Model with Machine ID PowerBook 5,2. This can be found by Opening the System Profiler in the Utilites folder in the Applications forlder, and selecting Hardware from the top of the list on the left and then looking at what the listed Machine model is on the right. This machine is a 15" PowerBook introduced in September of 2003. If this isn't your machine then you have 16 bit audio.

-Tom

First suggestion, turn off the caps lock. If you can't resist, pry the thing off of your keyboard. It's painful to read in all caps.

I'm going to need to know more about your machine to say for sure, but as far as 1 GHz (I'm assuming that you meant processor speed and not RAM with "1 gig", but I'm not sure). It looks like the only 1 GHz model that came with 24 bit audio was the Model with Machine ID PowerBook 5,2. This can be found by Opening the System Profiler in the Utilites folder in the Applications forlder, and selecting Hardware from the top of the list on the left and then looking at what the listed Machine model is on the right. This machine is a 15" PowerBook introduced in September of 2003. If this isn't your machine then you have 16 bit audio.

-Tom

Tom - You said:

"It looks like the only 1 GHz model that came with 24 bit audio was the Model with Machine ID PowerBook 5,2"

The above reference is indeed my Power Book. A little long in the tooth, but still singing.

Sorry about the GHz/gig confusion, and the CAPITALS.

Thanks for your help. Jerry H

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit is negligible to most podcast-listener's ears. The snowball has it's own built in audio interface, and so I don't know how you'd be using a FireWire preamp on that...